We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions about Oia - staying next week

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Few questions about Oia - staying next week

Hi everyone - I will be staying at the Atlantida Villas hotel in OIa for 5 days from next Wednesday and have a couple of questions am hoping the Oia Trip Adisor collective can help me with :)

- what is usual taxi fare from Santorina aiport to Oia? The hotel has quoted 30 Euros for a one way transfer - is it cheaper to just get a taxi straight form the airport?

- what is the nicest beach in Oia and is it easy to access and to find (I will be walking - don't mind a climb or whatever as long as I can find it!)

- I am a lone traveller -is it safe to walk back from Oia town to the hotel after dark?

- do most shops, cafes & restaurants except credit cards or is it best taek more cash than usual?

- are there any cash points in Oia?

Thank you in advance for any information and for any general tips about Oia. Kind regards :)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions about Oia - staying next week

Taxi: €25 Airport Shuttle: €11 www.a2btransfers.com/en/greece/santorini

Oia is high on a cliff. There are no beaches below but there is excellent swimming off the rocks at the end of the seawall (1/4 mile) that begins on the wharf in Amoudi Bay below Oia.

If you mean safe from crime, yes. You'll be walking along the main road for part of the distance so you'll have to be careful of traffic.

Many shops now do accept credit cards but some will pass on their transaction fees to you.

ATMs are available for cash in 2 or 3 locations in the village. Be sure to notify your bank of your intention to use your cards so they don't freeze your account from suspicion of ID theft.

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions about Oia - staying next week

Thank you Brotherleelove - just out of interst, if i did want to go to a beach, what are my nearest options? Also can you recommend a boat trip that isn't too "touristy" (ie packed with people and children) but isn't too "couply" either? It would be nice to do a boat trip to watch the sunset but I am concerned I will feel like a "gooseberry" as likely to be lot of couples?? thanks again :)

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions about Oia - staying next week

The nearest "nice" beaches, bearing in mind that they're volcanic grit and pebbles, not sand, are going to be Kamari or Perissa. For either of these, you'd need to get a bus to Fira then change to the beach resort of your choice.

There are a couple of beaches on the other side of Oia, but they're not considered very nice by some people.

Here's a map so you can see where things are.

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

Martin

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions about Oia - staying next week

The beaches nearest to Oia that Bigsnitch mentions are Kouloumbos and Paradise Beach in the area known as Baxedes at the very top of that map. They are down around the bottom of the cement road that begins next to the supermarket by the bus square.

Couples and families alike book the inexpensive boat trips so you won't be able to avoid them.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions about Oia - staying next week

Are you there yet?

I've been following your posts as my sister and I are staying at Atlantida Villas 21st September and had the same questions as you.

Hope it's as good as it sounds/looks

6. Re: Few questions about Oia - staying next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 02, 2014