We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston, ma
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

My fiancé and I have been trying to nail down our plans for our honeymoon. We are planning to spend four nights in Santorini at the end of May/early June. Our itinerary is as follows:

Athens: 2 nights, then flight to

Santorini: 4 nights, boat to

Crete: 5 nights

In Santorini we hope to see some sites around the village, visit some vineyards, take some walks in great looking villages, relaxing by a pool, and enjoying some terrific sunsets. We will want to vary our meals from fancy/high-end to low-key.

After looking at hotels and reading some great posts on here, for Santorini it looks like we would want to stay in Oia, Fira or Imerovigli. From previous posts, it appears that the areas have the following characteristics:

Fira- Transportation hub, has a lot of night life and is less expensive. A busy area. Well situated to get anywhere on the island.

Oia - great town/village for walking around, restaurants, and has good views. Fairly Quiet.

Imerovigli - The best views but very few if any restaurants and no central village. Quiet.

I think given our goals, Oia makes the most sense, correct?

We are leaning towards a hotel in Oia, but wanted to see what others thought about the best place to stay for all that we are looking to do. We also know that Oia can be expensive. The most we want to spend is about 270 Euros a night (around $350 USD).

We have received recommendations from friends and travel agents for some other places outside of Oia:

In Fira, someone recommended the Altana Suites. We liked the idea of this hotel because it seemed like a unique hotel, but were worried somewhat about the quality of the rooms. Although most reviews seems pretty good.

Another recommendation was the Aressana Spa hotel and Suites, which also looked beautiful and somewhere we would be interested in staying, we just were unsure if we wanted to be in Fira.

In Imerovigli, friends of ours stayed at the San Antionio and loved it. The hotel looks really nice, although slightly more than what we want to spend.

However, now that we are starting to understand the area better, and thinking that Oia might fit our needs best, we are hoping to find a hotel that is nice for a honeymoon, won’t blow our budget and will give us access to see/ get to the sites. (Also, we hear a lot of hotels don’t have air conditioning. Ideally we would like air conditioning as well.)

Brotherleelove – I have read a number of your posts. I see in one your recommended Dream blue. This looks gorgeous, but maybe slightly more than we want to spend.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

The Aressana Spa Hotel sits behind the Atlantis Hotel and does not have a caldera view.

The San Antonio is a beautiful property but it's out in the middle of the no-man's land between Oia and Imerovigli. There's absolutely nothing within walking distance.

Dream Blue is fantastic if self-catering is OK with you, but there's no pool. Oia does have a very nice public access pool: http://www.lioyerma.gr

For me Oia does make the most sense unless you want easy walking-distance access to Fira's nightlife. There are only mellow bars and cafes in Oia.

Take a look at Filotera Villas, Atrina Houses, Strogili Houses, Esperas Houses and Caldera Villas.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

Thank you for the great advice, all of those look really nice. We have decided to go with Atrina Houses and are quite excited. This may be a stretch, but do you have any insight on any of the rooms there? We are deciding between Tholos 2, Cavana, Cavana Suite and Athina House. The existing reviews seem to say all rooms are great, which makes it hard to make a choice!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

Sorry, no, I don't have any info regarding individual rooms there but I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's really a lovely property.

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

I am so glad I found an expert here, we are going to Santorini on May 21st and have a reservation at Agali house which it's free cancelation. do you recommend this hotel?? We are around 50 and would like a nice hotel and would like to keep it under $250 a night. also is five nights good to stay and see the island. We have 13 nights and flying to santorini and planning to stay 5 night there and 4 in mykonos and 4 in Athens. We are planning to take the boat between the islands and to Athens and are f,exile with the nights in each of the two islands and Athens. Please let me know if you recommend otherwise, thanks

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

I only know Agali Houses by name and good reputation, I've never visited this hotel. It's in an excellent location and is just a short 15-minute walk from all that Fira has to offer without all the hustle and bustle. I think you've found a winner. 5 nights will fly by but you'll have plenty of time to enjoy Santorini. I do recommend, however, that unless you're just after shopping, sunbathing and expensive nightlife you skip Mykonos in favor of Paros or Naxos so you have a more diverse experience of the islands.

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

Thanks so much form your respond, what does the other two islands offer that Mykonos doesn't ?. If we are taking the boat since the flights were expensive (250 or so per person) which island of the two do you recommend and what kind of shopping mykonos offers?? I live in Washington dc so i am huts vacationing with my husband . We like to explore and have driven through spain and Italy , I would appreciate your advise

Thanks

potomac, md
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

Also do you think it is better if we stay in oia???

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

Paros and Naxos are larger than Mykonos and both have interesting villages away from the sea as well as some archeological sites and small museums. You don't have to go to Mykonos if you want to see Delos, the world heritage island. There's an excursion boat that originates on Naxos and stops at Paros on the way to Delos. Mykonos offers all levels of shopping, from tourist souveniers to world-class clothing and jewelry designer boutiques.

9. Re: Overwhelmed by Santorini options - Oia, Imerovigli or Fira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 15, 2014