We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

My husband will be celebrating his birthday whilstwe are in Oia in 3 weeks time. We are staying at the Old Oia Houses, (connected with Lotza restaurant). I would like to book a nice restaurant for dinner with a great view, preferably without being overrun by sightseers - and as hubby has a little knee problem, with the least amount of steps as possible? What time should we book to see the sunset? (vegetarian options would also be great). I know I'm asking for a lot - but willing to compromise where needed..... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Leaving for the start of our trip in 2 days. :)

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Lotza
Lotza
1,032 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

There are some restaurants in Oia with great views but at sunset you won't be able to find one that isn't busy since the ones with a sunset view are always surrounded by sunset watchers wanting the same experience. Kastro Restaurant, Pelekanos Cafe, Ochre Restaurant and the one (can't remember the name) next to Melenio Pastry shop come to mind. Reservations are required at Kastro. I'm not sure about the others but I would assume so. Kastro will feel the most "overrun" as you approach it, with so many people standing around to watch, but once you're there it won't feel that way. Pelekanos and "no-name" have the least steps.

In 3 weeks' time the sun will set around 8:45.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Kastro Oia Restaurant
Kastro Oia Restaurant
689 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Pelekanos
Pelekanos
1,185 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Ochre Restaurant
Ochre Restaurant
701 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Melenio
Melenio
568 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

Thank you bll. I will check those out. I have just been looking on TA at Fanari? How does this compare with your suggestions? I can see this is going to be a hard decision! :) GBLyn

Mentioned in this post
Fanari Villas
Fanari Villas
316 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

Fanari is in a good location for the sunset and not too bad step-wise. I didn't mention it before because it's part of a hotel and I didn't know they served non-guests. Now I do.

Mentioned in this post
Fanari Villas
Fanari Villas
316 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

The "No-name" should be "Terpsi en Oia". Fanari serves to non-guest but is to my opinion very overpriced. From the 2nd floor of "Strogili" (on the corner next to the Municipal office) you can see the sunset, but maybe there are too many steps (?). Also from the terrace of "Kyprida Restaurant" it it possible to watch the sunset.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fanari Villas
Fanari Villas
316 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Strogili Restaurant
Strogili Restaurant
446 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Kyprida Restaurant
Kyprida Restaurant
657 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

Kyprida seems to have very good reviews (but limited number of tables with view?). Pelekanos and Kastro also look good. I might put them all on the list (we have 3 nights). Having said that - whch one would have the nicest ambience all round for the "special" occasion eg decor, service.

Mentioned in this post
Kyprida Restaurant
Kyprida Restaurant
657 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

I think that's difficult to answer objectively. I've been to Pelekanos and Kastro. I prefer Kastro but here's something else to consider. The June full moonrise is on the 4th at 8:54pm. If you choose Pelekanos you can sit and watch the sunset and the moonrise almost simultaneously, something that is very rare and VERY special. You can also see this from Kastro, just not quite as well.

Edited: 6:23 pm, May 18, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Pelekanos
Pelekanos
1,185 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

We will be there on 9-12th June?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

That's too bad. By June 9 the moonrise is after midnight. It would have been a special memory.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

I'd still go with Pelekanos for at least one night. The overall view is wonderful and the changing colors from the light reflecting off the buildings as the sun goes down is beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Pelekanos
Pelekanos
1,185 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Dinner with a view (and not too many steps)

Thank you BLL and Lunaris for your suggestions. Sounds like Pelekanos is the go, followed closely by Kiprida, then Kastro.......I will let you know my selections when I return. Cheers GBLyn

Mentioned in this post
Pelekanos
Pelekanos
1,185 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece