We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini or Mykonos

dchatman
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini or Mykonos

I am traveling to Greece the Labor Day weekend.For my honeymoon annual trip w/ my husband. Is 3 days enough time to visit both Santorini and Mykonos?

If it is not enough time to see both islands, with the nitelife being the priority which island is better?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

Hi!

Three days for both is possible but take late ferryboats or planes or it'll be difficult to leave early in the morning after a good party ;-)

Better go to Mykonos if your priority is nightlife.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

I disagree, it's NOT possible if you plan to do anything other than unpack, go party, pack up and move on. With only 3 days, choose one island and give yourselves a chance to have some fun. If nightlife is your priority then I think Mykonos is the one for you.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

I mean that it is possible theoretically but undesirable :-))

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

Of course you're right, I should have said the same thing......

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

I am guessing from a quick google that LDW is end of August? (outside of the US, phrases like 'labor day weekend' dont strike immediate recognition :-)

In which case, its still high season so you are being way more than optimistic to think you can book hotels, ferries flights to line up for one island, let alone 2. And sorry but 2 islands in 3 days is just plain silly, you'll spend literally more time travelling than being anywhere.

If nightlife is the priority, the overhyped overcrowded overrated island of Mykonos is the one for sure.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

dchatman,

If nightlife is a priority, I would definitely go with Mykonos. Do not be turned off by Joe's comments about Mykonos being overrated, overpriced, etc. I think if you know what to expect and know what you are going into, you can have a great time at any of the islands. I still have no clue why so many people have such negative comments about Mykonos. If it is not their cup of tea, then just say so but giving such negative impressions of what can be a great island if you know what you expect when you go there is not very helpful on this site. I agree with the comments that 3 days is not enough time to do both islands as you will spend a significant amount of time actually travelling between the islands. IF you want nightlife, then head to Mykonos (I will be there over Labor Day Weekend in the US). If you want relaxation, quiet and a beautiful location, then I would go with Santorini. I usually do at least 3-4 days at each location. Any less, then I do not think it is worth it.

Enjoy,

J

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

25 Euros to reserve a couple of loungers and a parasol? If thats not overpriced ......

dchatman
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

Gentlemen,

Thank you for you responses! Mykonos it is. Well I guess I am forced to return to Greece to visit Santorini on the way to Crete and Cyprus my next vacation..isnt that just a bummer :-) LOL

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

dc,

Good choice. Perhaps we will run into you while there. It does not cost 25E to get a lounge chair and an umbrella but at only one place at the island that I am aware of. If you choose to go to Nammos and spend that then you that is your choice. It is an experience, but you pay for it. The other beaches on the island charge about half of that for the use of the lounge chair and umbrella. Just plan ahead and you will have a great time.

Enjoy,

J

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini or Mykonos

"The other beaches on the island charge about half of that for the use of the lounge chair and umbrella."

Ahhhh, only double (or more ) what it is elsewhere on nearby islands. Not overpriced at all then :-)