We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

Indiana
Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

we are going on our honeymoon to Athens/Chania/Santorini(pref. oia) and I cannot for the life of me decide on a hotel. my price range is somewhere around 200 dollars (which unfortuantely translates to 150 euros) ... for 3 nights in September. I emailed some places and here are my choices

Aris Caves: 140 euro (only the Xenia is availabile)

Nostos Studios: 170 euro (the studio)

Delfini Villas room w/ caldera view: 80 euro

Delfini Villas cave house: 160 euro

I was at first planning to get one of the smaller Aris caves for 110, 140 is a lot for space I don't need (there will be 2 extra beds!). Also I am hesitating since I heard the views arent as great. Nostos is somewhat more expensive. If there are no differences between any I would just go with Delfini room for 80, which is way less than the others. But on Delfini website it appears like the room has 2 beds not 1 double bed, which i do not like much. I'd like a double bed, a great view with terrace, and the "romantic look" to the room if possible.

Basically I am leaning towards Delfini I think.. and probably the studio and not the cave house. or is the cave house worth it??

All those Oia Castle, Katikies, Aspaki sound soo fabulous but it really is too bad how far out of our price range they are :-p :-p

Indiana
Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

nevermind about Aris now, they had emailed to say they had a cancellation but it wasn't even for the date I wanted. so that one is not available after all.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

Hi lilmm.

We stayed in the cave house suite (with the hot-tub/jacuzzi) in April 2007. The cave house we were in was HUGE. Tons of room. We had our 6 month old baby with us, and the people below us never heard a peep.

The one thing I would caution you on with the cave houses is that they are stacked - one on top of the other. There were 3 cave houses (I am sure someone will correct me I am wrong) - and ours was the middle one. There was one below us which the couple staying there entered through the gate on the far side of our porch - and went down a set of stairs. There were also stairs going up above us to what looked like a smaller cave house. No one was in this one, thankfully, as if they sat on their little porch, they would have been hovering above us, looking down at us.

We talked to another couple that stayed in the room with a caldera view - and they said it was nice. Quaint, small, I think it had a little veranda/balcony (I think)... but as you said, the room is likely the least of your concerns. The staff are nice/polite/helpful. The view is amazing. And there are plenty of restaurants/bakeries/convenience stores within a short walk. I am not sure about the status of the bed (one double vs. two singles, which I guess you could always push together?... the 2 singles apparently is the norm in Europe, as opposed to the exception).

I would recommend the Delfini for sure. And if you are trying to do it on a bit of a budget - the rooms would be sufficient. Although, you may be able to hear your neighbours - and vice versa - as it is your honeymoon you may want to think about that! haha

Enjoy it, Santorini is beautiful.

Denny

Portland, Maine
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

lilmm,

i'm looking at the same itinerary for our honeymoon in june. our budget is about the same- i can't believe how expensive the hotels seem to be.

anyway, if you find something really great- i'd love to know. and if i find something really good- i'll do the same....

tms143 :)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,517 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

Not everything is expensive. Check Aspa Villas, Old Oia Houses, Ether Studios, Stelios Rooms and the Delfini Hotel. Even more of a bargain but with a different sea view is Musses Studios and Anemomilos Hotel. If your budget is limited these are your best choices.

5. Re: still trying to decide which hotel in Oia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 16, 2009