We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

My partner and I were in Zanzibar this month. Thought that I'd provide a more recent update on expected taxi costs for other travellers.

Airport to Stonetown: 15,000 Tanzanian Shillings or approx 7 USD (bargaining required). They have an official looking price list that indicates 10 USD/20,000 TZS. Waiting taxi drivers will try to convince you that it's a fixed price but you can negotiate.

Stonetown to Pongwe Beach: 60,000 TZS or approx 30 USD. Our hotel charges 50 USD and other taxi services we contacted charge 40 USD.

Pongwe Beach to Ferry Terminal: 60,000 TZS

We used an excellent taxi driver for transfer to/from Pongwe whom we would highly recommend. We felt his price was very reasonable. He was a safe driver, friendly, reliable and has a clean and air conditioned van. He even provided us with bottled water which was a nice bonus!

Khamis Omar Yahya +255 773 169577 or +255 712 369398 or khamistaxi@gmail.com

19 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

Check www.zanzitaxi.com, I think it's the only organized taxi service on the island. We highly recommend their driver Mr. Ally. All prices are fixed in advance and incredibly reasonable, drivers speak english and they are fast in responding to e-mails, text messages and even WhatsApp. We had them pick us up from the airport and they were waiting for us with our name on a board. Safe and super friendly driver who knew every inch of the island.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

thanks that's really helpful

Rozelle, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
3. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

I HIGHLY recommend using Ally's taxi service when you come to Zanzibar (www.zanzitaxi.com). He's friendly, professional, knowledgeable, punctual, flexible and courteous. His English is very good and he is very informative on all aspects of Zanzibar's culture. Whatever you want to do on the island, from a simple airport pick-up or drop-off to excursions to the beaches or forest or the famous spice tours, Ally is an absolute must. As mentioned above, his prices are excellent and up front. You can contact him by phone, email or whatsapp and he's very quick to reply.

Zanzibar Island...
1 post
4. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

Good evening

I hope you to be healthy and thank you for providing me with the support I've added service I have set free Wi-Fi

Best regards Khamis Omar Yahya

Taxi driver Zanzibar Tanzania

5. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:13 am, November 15, 2018

Lodi, Italy
Level Contributor
58 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

Buongiorno a tutti,

qualora vi servisse un servizio taxi, vi suggerisco Omar Khamis (+255 773169577, email: khamistaxi@gmail.com).

Abbiamo utilizzato il suo servizio lo scorso agosto, per trasferimenti da aeroporto a Stone Town, da Stown Town a Nungwi e da Nungwi all'aeroporto.

Per un totale di 70$. Il prezzo e' ottimo se paragonato ai prezzi locali medi.

La macchina e' un 6 posti (nuova), dotata di wi fi e di acqua fresca. Lui inoltre e' estremamente puntuale!

Durante il viaggio fa anche la guida spiegando i posti dove si passa.

Ve lo consiglio assolutamente perche' oltre che molto professionale e' anche una bravissima persona!

Edited: 3:46 am, September 04, 2017
4 posts
7. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

ciao a tutti I'm Eddie Taxi Driver zanzibar mi unirsi per prezzo onesto whatsapp è +255 [0] 652715333 ovunque tu sia in zanzibar il mio prezzo è 35 $ trasferimento e ti prendo 24 ore di lavoro e WiFi gratuito sulla mia auto e acqua fredda!

4 posts
8. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

hi everyone I'm Eddie Taxi Driver zanzibar join me for honest price whatsapp is +255 [0]652715333 EMAIL:edimaiko2010@gmail.com wherever you are in zanzibar my price is 35$ transfer and pick you up 24 hours work and free WiFi on my car and cold water or visit me on my Facebook page (EDDIE TAXI Driver zanzibar)!

Edited: 10:04 am, September 15, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
662 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

There is a price list here, good service too. We've used them while here.

http://www.budgetzanzibartaxis.com/

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe

Hi, the TA forums were really useful for our recent trip to Zanzibar so just thought I'd contribute and recommend our taxi driver (also mentioned elsewhere on these forums).

His name is Mr Othman and he operates Zan Island Taxi Service. He's really easy to deal with, I watsapped him regularly and he always replied quickly. He provides a very safe and dependable service in his spacious Toyota 7 seater taxi. His prices are fair and knows the island inside out. He was never late and we always felt very safe being driven by him.

His details are as follows:

Phone/WhatsApp: +255 777 577 207

ochusidelink@gmail.com

Zan island taxi service on Facebook

We used him a lot during our week in Zanzibar, it was easier and cheaper than hiring a car. We only made use of his spice tour however he appears to offer many others on request. He's worked in Zanzibar tourism for years so you'll be in safe hands!

Thanks,

Nic Beckett

UK

Reply to: Zanzibar taxi - Airport to Stonetown, Stonetown to Pongwe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted