We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

is it safe to rent a car in Zanzibar,and what would the cost be

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Hi

Style of driving is a little different, im pretty sure, you do need a Tanzanian temp licence a international wont be accepted so means a trip to head police station.

Padua, Italy
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Hello Frank_Carole. In fact you need a international driving license which you can get in an half hour at the offices of the motorization in Stone Town. You can rent a car at a cost of approximately 60$/day treatable; renting it for several days, the price is reduced.

Keep in mind that driving is on the left, the streets are very narrow, unlit and almost missing road signs. In addition, especially in the north, there are many roadblocks of the police; control documents and, even if everything is in order, the police will always find an excuse to get a tip....

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

I rent cars in Zanzibar since my very first trip in 2007. It is safe and quite easy to drive in Zanzibar. Speed limit in Stone Town is 40 kmh, on country roads 80 kmh. According to latest laws, you need a temporary Zanzibar drivers license in Zanzibar - this permit can be arranged by the car hire company you choose before your arrival. An international drivers license is NOT valid in Zanzibar. One drives on the left hand side of the road, steering wheel is on the right hand side. Choose a car with automatic transmission. Look out for the stickers on the windscreen that they are not expired! This concerns car license and insurance. Very important. Check that the spare tire is properly inflated. If you do that and have the driving permit, the traffic police guys will not cause any troubles or ask for any bribes (which they are forbidden to do!). The cars you get to rent differ much in condition, reliability and cleanliness. Watch out for that! The police will fine you if the rental car is not in a roadworthy condition! Rental cars in Zanizbar are usually about 15-20 years old with very low mileage - the island is tiny. I have had different experiences with car hire companies, some shocking, some so-so and one consistently good company. In my opinion, the most reliable and properly serviced and clean cars one gets from Kibabu (www.kibabucars.com). This is a relatively young car hire company and I am really impressed by them (I am German...). Look at their reviews page, that says it all. Cost of a small Escudo is $35 per day, they offer a discount for rentals of more than 7 days. Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

This is my experience with http://www.zanzibarcarhire.com/ (Sabri Juma)

We booked a car for a week, making an upfront payment of around 50% of the cost + 7 USD for commission of the payment platform.

We arranged to meet at the airport.

When in the arrivals lobby in Zanzibar airport, Sabri was waiting us with a signal with my name and took us to the car. He showed the basic facts of the car, we paid for the remaining amount and we receive the keys and the local driving permit.

We booked a Suzuki Escudo 3 doors, but we receive a Escudo 5 door for the same price, so even better!

The car was in good condition, clean and worked perfectly for the complete week. Not a World Rally Car but enough for Zanzibar routes and some dusty path. 4 wheels drive worked fine when requested.

We were stopped several times by police checkpoints, they checked the insurance signs on the windshield and our driving permits, and we had no problems. Thanks to Sabri to manage those permits.

We returned the car at the agreed place and time, and that's all.

The total cost was 35 USD/day + 8 EUR in commission for electronic transaction of the upfront payment + 7 USD for each local driving permit (more or less, I lost the ticket).

No surprises, nice and clean car,.... all you expect to find in a good quality service.

If I ever come back to Zanzibar, for sure I'll contact this agency again. Thanks Sabri!

Regarding the traffic conditions in Zanzibar, be very patient when driving in populated places, don't get nervous and don't speed up at any time. In the least expected place, a bump, a child crossing the route, a cow, ... is prepared to call all your attention.

And make your companion ready to take tones of pictures while driving. My best pictures from Zanzibar were taken from inside the car.

5. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 11, 2016