We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
886 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Hi all

I'm not much of a big swimmer or snorkeler but I'm going on a safari next feb/march where we'll end up in Zanzibar. There are two trips we can do - Prison Island Snorkeling and Nungwi Snorkeling. I thought it might be nice to give it a go. Does anyone have any recommendations at which place may be better for snorkeling to see the most sea life?

Thanks in advance :)

1. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, March 03, 2014
Edited: 8:42 am, March 03, 2014
2. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, March 03, 2014
Edited: 8:42 am, March 03, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
886 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Thanks for that Bill, from what I have been told, the two trips we can chose from are just snorkeling. I don't believe we have the option to go onto Prison Island for a tour or to see the ruins or anything

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

When we took a standard Prison Island tour ($20 per person) the boat stopped on the way (by the island's shore) for snorkeling. Circa 20 minutes was enough. There is a small reef, buch of colorful starfish, some picassos and clownfish as well. For the real snorkeling expirience try safari blue or a day trip to chumbe island.

Sydenham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

Ok , if you will not do Prison tour , i recommend you to go to mnemba Island at the North east side of Island , this place is the Queen of marine life . But where will you stay during that time ?, because the cost it depends with distance from where you will stay .

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
886 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

We'll be staying in Stone Town I believe :)

Thanks everyone for your responses, maybe we'll just have to wing this one!

Sydenham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

And if you booked with some guys check first if they do have safety equipments for snorkelling especial gears ,masks and flippers .

Edited: 7:41 am, December 06, 2013
Sydenham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling

And as you will stay at Stone Town I advice you to take snorkelling around the sandbank area where you will snorkel and relax at the white sand on the beach .

Dar es salaam
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling

If you are staying a few days in Zanzibar then I would recommend you dont stay the whole time in Stone town as it will get boring. I would recommend you stay at least a day or two in Nungwi. The hotels there will set you back around $150 for a double. But the beach are great and Mnemba snorking is alot better then Prison Island snorkeling. When In Nungwi I normally stay at Langi Langi Hotel.

Just to clarify, tourists are allowed to enter Prison Island (there are some prison ruins there, a few 10,000 year old turtles and some dik diks running around and I think one or two Dodos). If you want to arrange for the prison island/snorling trip just walk down to the beach infront of Tembo hotel and negotiate straight with the boats parked there. Around 15-20$ per head. They will normally start with US$ 2,500,000 and your first born, you will have to negotiate down to your price.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling

Agree with Muruh. Stone Town is probably not the best place to stay in. Zanzibar is small - only one hour away (at the taxi cost of US$ 30) you can find some really nice resorts with relaxed atmosphere - like Paje or Jambiani on the east coast. From these resorts, you can easily find a catamaran boat (with sail) which will take you for a 2-3 hour trip to the reef for snorkeling for US$10. We did it couple days ago. There are also trips to see the dolphins and marvelous lagoons to learn kitesurfing.