We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

Hi,

Just booked flight for Zanzibar for 14 days from this Thursday (28 Feb) booked a few hotels around the Island so far, travelling on my own but would appriciate a few ideas of things to do while there, as i think lazing round the beach will only get boring after first week or so ;-)

Open to suggestions......Thanks :-)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

Go to Stone town and take a tour of the historic city. There is also a spice tour you can take.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

We stayed 4N/5D at The Zanzibar Coffee House in Stone Town and loved every minute.

You can explore the very old town, we happen to like old towns, but also arrange any tour, and there are lots, to anywhere on the island.

The lady's running the place are very friendly and will spoil you and they have the best coffee in Africa.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

Hello,

You could go diving, snorkelling or swimming with wild dolphins... you could visit Jozani Forest to see the monkeys or the nearby community butterfly project. Or you could do a spice tour, visit prison island and its giant tortoises or take a tour of Stone Town. Or you could go kite surfing, fishing or have a spa treatment the morning after a beach party!

Zanzibar has way more than just beaches if you look. I'm sure your will have an awesome time!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

There is also Scuba diving off the coast

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

Thanks, certainly food for thought.

Where are the most lively places (pubs/clubs) etc?

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

There are lots of little beach bars dotted all around but the main areas are Kendwa, Nungwi, and Paje.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

The active sites of the island are the north coast,east coast [Paje].

while here you can do diving,snorkeling,kite surfing,fishing..your budget will advise.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments, I've only been here 24hrs and i feel like I know Stone Town like the back of my hand! Must of walked about 20km in a 3km sqare, Maze City, but great!

Everyone is so friendly, and i'm currently staying in the Emerson Spice Hotel. The staff can't do enough to assist, and the food is great, but the rooms are absolutly amazing!! I've stayed in quite a few hotels in Africa, so i'm really not over exagerating.

Well, off to see more tomorrow, but as always, your advice and tips are always well appriciated, so keep them comming :-)

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

I have nothing to contribute other than I think it's absolutely awesome that you did it on a whim! Bravo! Hope it's amazing.

10. Re: Zanzibar on a whim this Thursday, 14 days, any one else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 03, 2014