We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Would appreciate a recommendation for a tour guide to see the sights of Zanzibar in a day. Obviously just an overview would be great.

We may be two couples coming off a cruise ship docking for the day.

Thanks so much.

Roberta

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

I hired Juma Juma, a registered guide, for my excursions. He is very courteous and reliable. He can be reached via email at jumataxi at gmail dot com, or jumataxi at yahoo dot com.

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Thanks so much. I appreciate the lead.

Roberta S

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

There are quite a number of tour operators in Stone Town (you will see all their advertisements outside their shops) and they will arrange all excursions, guided trips etc.

I would recommend going with an organised guide/operation as every second person practically wants to take you on a guided tour but I have had many guests who have done this and did not enjoy their trip as much as the guide was too busy trying to take them to his friends shops where he gets a cut or eat only at the restaurants where he gets commission and at the end of the day they missed a lot of the sights / info.

You can also pre-arrange a guide. Most of the good operators are online, these are who I would recommend:

Island Express

Zanzibar Unique

Madiera Tours

Fisherman Tours

Eco Culture and Tours

Should be enough to get you started.

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Wonderful list and very helpful.

Do you have an idea about the usual and typical cost?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Roberta S

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

I have also used JUma. Indeed I think I pointed azbuceadora to him prior to her visit. He is very courteous, never even suggested a tour "via a friends shop". He is a registered Guide and highly professonal.

I don't recall his fee but it was not excessive and his car was extremeley comfortable.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Roberta it is about $10 for half a day and $20 for a full day PER guide. Obviously if you have a large group it will be more.

Half a day I find will be enough, it gives you the rest of the day to wander around on your own and do your thing but it is up to you at the end of the day.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Yes, Mfuwe, you get the credit for recommending Juma to me. In our three excursions we never stopped for shopping except for one time, to buy kangas, at my request.

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

Great ! Very helpful and answers all of our questions.

The internet is a wonderful resource for everyone concerned.

Thanks again,

Roberta S

9. Re: Tour guide for one day in Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 03, 2013