We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side/Day Trips

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Side/Day Trips

I will be in Zanzibar in April, just wanted to see about any day/side trips that are worth it? I´ll be spending a day in Stone town, and then 4 days at the beach. Thanks!!!

1. Re: Side/Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:39 am, February 17, 2006
Arusha
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Side/Day Trips

Dear Meneito

Please see below what you can do in aday in Zanzibar

Zanzibar Stone Town Tour (Short Tour) – 3.30hrs

Zanzibar City Tour (Long Tour) 4.30hrs.

Spice Tours - 5hrs

City And Spice Tours – 7 Hrsde.

Jozani Forest Reserve Tour - Half Day

Mangapwani Tours-Half Day

Prisons Island Tour – Half Day

East Cost Beaches – Full Day.

Northern Beaches Of Zanzibar – Full Day.

Southern Beaches Of Zanzibar – Full Day

Chumbe Island Tour – Full Day

Ngezi Forest Tour – Full Day.

Intercultural Tour – Full Day.

Misali Island Tour – Full Day

Good luck

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side/Day Trips

I've gone snorkling twice in Zanzibar. One time I could not believe the stunning variety of fish. It was so neat. Then a few years later I went again and saw nearly no fish. I'm hoping that it was because the timing with the tide was bad the second time. Regardless, if you get good snorkling, it's really great.

I've gone 'swimming with dolphins' and found it to be a bit of a waste of time, though it was okay. I've later read that it might not be good for the dolphins.

I have never gone on the Spice Tour but everyone always raved and raved about that when I was there as a Peace Corps Volunteer. But now, I've heard more lately that there is a big difference depending on who takes you on the tour. Some are great and some are not worth it.

Just walking around Stone Town can be quite interesting even without a guide. You could spend at least half a day wandering through the maze of narrow streets. I must ask, however, that anyone traveling to Zanzibar, please don't wear shorts in public, it's just not culturally appropriate though you'll see tourists doing it all the time. The same goes for any village in Tanzania.

Brian

South Africa
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Side/Day Trips

Hi there,

It is very difficult to decide, because there are so many tours!! But let me tell you what we've done. We just got back from a holiday in Zanzibar.

* The spice tour - absolutely worth while. It is amazing to see how spices look like in their unprocessed form. Furthermore you get lunch in a local hut, comprising of rice and curry sauce. And you get to experience a ride in the local transport - the dala-dala. Our tourguide also took us to see persian bath ruins and took us to a nice beach where we spend an hour, swimming. We booked this one through Jojoba tour guides (next to Serena Inn hotel) and we payed $10 per person.

* We went on the dolpin tour at Kizimkazi. not such a great idea. We saw three dolphins, but each time we went into the water, they disappeared to the bottom of the ocean. So, it is not really 'swimming and playing' with them as the tours states, but rather 'chasing the dolphins'. It is not bad though, and maybe you'll have better luck that us.

* We did the Chumbe day tour. This one takes you to Chumbe island and was absolutely worth the $70 we payed!They take you to this concervation island. When getting there, they give you a banda (hut) for the day, where you can catch a midday nap, and shower after getting back from snorkeling. Our tour guide asked if we'd rather do a mangrove forest tour, or a intertidal pool tour, and at the end we had time for both. Absolutely great!

Then we enjoyed the best lunch we had in Zanzibar (by the way, all the soft drinks is on the house once you payed the tour fee.) The snorkeling was wonderful. We snorkeled in water about 2 metres deep, and saw the most amazing live corals and fish. This one I'd absolutely recommend.

*In my opinion the city tour is a waste. We had a guide book with us and did the tour ourselves.All the locations is easy to reach on foot and the guide gave us enough information

Hope this helps you!!

Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar Island