We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

3 posts
Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

Hi All. Grateful if anyone can tell me if you are still ok to get a visa on arrival in Zanzibar? I have a UK passport. Has anyone done this recently? Many Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
1. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

HI

Yes not a problem its $50 pp - if you are going on to main land Tanzania after remember to give the full amount of time you will be staying in both areas of Tanzania, not just Zanzibar

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
182 reviews
133 helpful votes
2. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

I got a visa on arrival in January with a UK passport. No problems whatsoever but you might like to remember to be patient as the process can be slow-going in the heat depending on the capacity of your aircraft and those arriving around the same time!

Make sure you have at least one pen for each member of your party (and a spare!) so you can fill in your form on the aircraft if handed out in advance, or see if you can download the form from the internet ahead of time. Have your money ready - a crisp note for each member of your party rather than say 100$ for two of you will make it easier to process if you are called forward separately - and by that time, your luggage should be waiting for you stacked up in the large 'barn' that is the arrivals hall!

Have a wonderful time, and just stay patient and hydrated ... sun cream on before you leave the aircraft, your hat and sunglasses in the right places, and your bottle of water handy!

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

Holding a UK passport can grant you a visa on arrival in Zanzibar Airport

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
945 posts
131 reviews
56 helpful votes
4. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

Got a visa on arrival in Zanzibar in February......have a USA passport.....we were the only ones in line!!!

2 posts
5. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

I was there two weeks ago, and actually have visited several times, yes VOR is the quickest way, just one month before flying I tried to have-a-go at their new E-Visa system but found out rather too complicated and resort back to tried and tested visa on arrival method, all you need is your visa/debit card ready for visa fees which is about 40 quids for single entry, a confirmation of your return ticket and you will be asked to fill a visa form and a landing card right there, they will proceed with your mugshot taken and issued you with a big full-page stamp on your passport.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
675 posts
11 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

"visa/debit card ready for visa fees" No.5

Does this mean you can use your Visa credit card for the visa? And if so, is this also available at JRO?

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

Yes you still get the visa on arrival, as per feedback received last week.

Please read "how to get here / visa / Zanzibar International Airport" on www.zanzibarinsiderbuzz.wordpress.com

2 posts
8. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

Yes, actually paying by card is the government preference though I am not sure at JRO, I believe they have the payment system on all international airports.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
3 reviews
23 helpful votes
9. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

Visa available also upon Arrival points

1 post
10. Re: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019

As Egyptian passport holder, can I get the visa on arrival directly from Zanzibar if I will go there first before I visit the rest of Tanzania? or I need to land in Tanzania first to get the visa on arrival?

Reply to: Zanzibar visa on arrival 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted