We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$2,000 dollar fine for using plastic bags?

Worcester
7 posts
Save Topic
$2,000 dollar fine for using plastic bags?

Extract from a newsletter from:

http://89.234.25.194/php/DOCS/AbercrombieKent_Page_Newsletter2/32---Attachmnet.pdf

ZANZIBAR BANS PLASTIC BAGS TOP Zanzibar has banned the import and production of plastic bags to protect its environment and tourism industry. Anyone producing, importing, using or selling plastic bags could face a fine of up to $2,000 and a possible jail sentence of up to a year. The ban applies only to thin, transparent polyvinylchloride bags and was necessary as they clogged sewers and produced poisonous fumes when burned.

Any thoughts?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: $2,000 dollar fine for using plastic bags?

Leve11er,

Wow, that is a very interesting newsletter--good info.

It was interesting to see that article you quoted. I was on the island of Zanzibar for the last week of Feb 07 and into the second week of Mar '07 and I didn't hear a thing about it then. All the local stores were still giving out their goods in the plastic bags then. I would be interesting to find out where this piece of information originated from.

Cheers,

Georgina

2. Re: $2,000 dollar fine for using plastic bags?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar Island