We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like in Cape Verde

Which Santa Maria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What's it like in Cape Verde

Make sure you drink bottled water all through your hols and brush your teeth with it too. Best not to eat too much salad. The fish is good and the Odjo d'Agua Hotel is superb for a meal overlooking the ocean. Book a table in advance. Not necessary but a good idea at the week ends.

The Yellow Submarine, Glass bottom boat is good. There is a statue of Christ in the sea. But if you tend to get sea sick, don't go on the boat, it's a bit like a cradle under the boat that swings back and forth and can cause queezineess! The catamaran is fine but you can go out to sea and see nothing except ocean and no dolphins. Ask locally first. Bear in mind also that if there is only yourself going on the trips, they can be cancelled. Don't let this happen INSIST - they advertised it - it's not your fault if they can't get enough people to take you. Don't be let down.

Cape Verde is very different. Best to find a hotel near town as the other hotels are well out of town and isolated from the tourist areas. The Porto Antigo is good if you take an apartment, but if you take a studio for two people, the sofa bed is VERY uncomfortable.

Hope to put some video soon on YOU Tube.

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

Meant to say - visit the Tam Tam Bar and also the Italian supermarket on the same street. Great breadstick, cheese and ham.

Chelmorton...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

would never return to cape verde. Apart from the water

Sports there is absolutely nothing worth visiting this place for. The restaurants cannot guarantee food aon their menu as everything is imported. The locals are extremely poor and hence prowl the beach so you are unable to leave anything unattended. don't blame them they are just being pushed to one side of the island (in Sal). there are stray dogs everywhere and poison is put down by the government to get rid of them which is disgusting. Not a relaxing place at all.

Edited: 12:40 pm, February 17, 2012
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

Let me say that you don't go to Cape Verde for the average holiday in the sun, this is about the experience. It's good to know how the other half lives and appreciate a different way of life. I was not aware of any thieving and was told the crime rate is low.

A vet is coming out every month from Belgium as a volunteer to castrate the dogs. Something is being done. Santa Maria should become a place of retreat, but I am saddened by the fact that they are building hotels when the water supply is going to cost a fortune to desalinate. You cannot drink it - all those new buildings outside of town. It is hoped that as a tourist resort things will improve. Only time will tell.

Essex
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

Just arrived back and thought I would give my opinion on some of the points on here. We stayed in the riu Garopa for one week-I brushed my teeth with the local water-as I do in spain / Egypt etc and have never had any problems-I drank bottled water and had ice and I ate the salad every day. No problems at all. Why these points were made puzzles me. I think its a very individual thing if you are prone to tummy upsets then be more careful than I was, but as I say I have not had any problems in that area what so ever!

As for insisting you do the trip you've booked, can I point out that is a selfish thing to. These people arrange the trips and need to make some money too, otherwise its not worth the trip going ahead with only a couple of people, but if you know another family/couple would like to go the next day it makes sense to combine the trips if convenient rather than making the tour go ahead and loose money. We were asked to swap days and it was not a problem-you are on holiday- be flexible it may work out for the best. We met a lovely family on our rearranged trip. Trips get jiggled about in the UK too, so do not pin point Cape Verde. Their moto is NO STRESS. live by it while you are out there. By booking trips locally, the money is going to the people of cape verde not Thomsons etc so support them in every way. OK rant over! Enjoy the cape verde experience!

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

In reply to your comments. We had to insist because our time there was limited and we had already lost two days of our holiday due to trips being cancelled. We wanted to see the rest of the island and found ourselves unable to do so due to last minute cancellations. Making last minute alternatives wasn't always possible at eleven in the morning - half the day is gone and finding someone to take you up North at that time wasn't easy.

Still, if you do find yourself out on a limb I suggest you take the eastern path at the end of Santa Maria to the lagoon, take a picnic and spend the whole day by the ocean, it's a great alternative.

Glad you had a great time - it really is a wonderful place.

sal
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

itslinhere, are you the couple living in holland but are british. as im shocked by the way you put words on yr review. the statement you made about dont let people swap your tour dates even if only 2 people. as tisty 73 said, they had to rearrange dates but they understood how hard it is in cape verde to fill numbers so they changed the day and had a fab time. you was asked day before if you could change tomorrow for day after. you refused so fine you went on tour as requested and i paid money out of my own pocket so that you could take the tour, also i added on extra bird watching spot for you and spent my break time sitting with you after tour explaining history. so i think yr being a little unfair on this situation i didnt even have my rent money at the time, but still paid for part yr tour, and yes yr right its not yr problem or fault but please try and be more understanding on yr next holiday........... hope you enjoy that one more.

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

I first have to say that everything Blinky did for us was great! We were almost let down by two other tour operators and felt saddened by this. Hence our insistence.

For anyone reading this Blinky did her best to help us. We did have a fantastic time and Cecilio our driver was excellent. Please send our regards. Blinky went out of her way to ensure we were able to do so. Thanks again.

We came to Cape Verde for two purposes, to see the culture and the wildlife. If you are only there for a week and lose a few days, our birdwatching in the countryside and going to other places other than Santa Maria was important to us. I hope you understand. Thanks to Blinky we got our trip, although we would like to have done more.

Thanks again Blinky it was great. Stay in touch. I appreciated your help.

manchester
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

I not been there as yet but i do intend to visit over the next 12 months but i have been informed that if u book a trip with anybody else but your holiday rep then u are not covered on your insurance... BUT i do not know how true this is ..Also.Because the trips are run by tour operaters then they are all safety checked to higher standard and that if the trips involve animals that they are health checked by the right people, and that they live and are cared for in the enviroment... BUT AGAIN NOT SURE OF THE TRUTH

Essex
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

OMG please do not believe this tour operator drivel, they will tell you anything to get you to pay thier rediculously inflated prices, and as for animals, dogs and cats aside, you will struggle to see any animals. go see Blinky, she will show you her insurance, give you a great trip at a great rate, all with the personal touch that the tour operator just cannot do. All trip organisers will show insurance, its not a tour operators only insurance, if it was the insurance companies would soon go bust.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
103 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's it like in Cape Verde

Please can someone tell me if May is a good time of year to go to Cape Verde? Some sites say all year round is good, others say the best time is August to October.

Thanks in advance,

Milly x

Get answers to your questions about Santa Maria
Recent Conversations