We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boa vista safety

Sunderland, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Boa vista safety

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are any issues regarding safety outside of the hotels in Boa vista as i've heard conflicting stories and considering a holiday to Boa vista next year, Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Boa Vista
Boa Vista
Cape Verde
Bilton Rugby
Level Contributor
884 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boa vista safety

We have been 3 times to The Riu Touareg in Boa Vista and never had or heard of any trouble.

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Touareg
Hotel Riu Touareg
8,925 Reviews
Boa Vista, Cape Verde
Boa Vista
Boa Vista
Cape Verde
England
Level Contributor
550 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boa vista safety

There have been reports of muggings in the past, but haven't heard anything since and it seems to have died down. As with any country as long as you are sensible e.g not venturing out alone in the dark, not wearing big expensive jewellry in dodgy areas etc, you should be fine. Cape Verdean people are some of the friendliest you could ever meet by all accounts.

southeast
Level Contributor
325 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boa vista safety

We were at the Touareg in July this year and the people were wonderful myself and my husband went out with a wonderful guide Dada and he took us to a little village where we stopped for a wander around

Never felt insecure at any time

We loved it so much we have booked to go back already

UK
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boa vista safety

I'm not sure where you live in the UK but there are places near me I wouldn't walk at night! As rich western tourists you're always going to be a target but the vast majority of Cape Versions are friendly. There are security guards at the beach entrances to the hotels and regular police patrols. One came past on a quad bike when we were there but he did say they don't patrol after 10 at night so make your own decision.

Edit: I've just seen the OP comes from Sunderland. I'm from Birtley, I think we know the same places to avoid!

Edited: 4:49 pm, September 12, 2013
Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boa vista safety

We have just spent two weeks there and got out and about on a couple of tours with Giggling Gecko and we felt secure at all times despite walking round Sal Rei and a couple of villages.

Apparently there were a few instances where tourists laiden with cameras and the like went to secluded places and were mugged. Police have now started patrolling those areas and the problems have desisted. We were told that a new Chief of Police had gone to Boa Vista and had employed more pro-active policies. We will be returning next year and have no qualms about safety.

Mentioned in this post
Sal Rei
Sal Rei
Boa Vista, Cape Verde
Boa Vista
Boa Vista
Cape Verde
6. Re: Boa vista safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista