We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Flight TOM218

Essex
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Flight TOM218

We are going to Boa Vista next month and I was shocked to see the TOM218 flight that should have left Gatwick at 09.55 yesterday is still there. I saw someone had left Manchester a couple of days ago and were unable to land at Boa Vista because the pilot couldn't see. They ended up in Lanzarote. Anyone else had any problems with the fight?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

i was due to travel on this flight. it was cancelled & we were placed on the 1st UK flight available.(3 days later) .

The Thomson reps did their best to deal with any problems individuals had & we were all given All Inclusive accommodation for the period of the delay. We were kept informed of what was happening.

some fellow travelers were celebrating having extra free holidays & then counting the hours for the insurance claim & looked for any reason to have a go. i dont see what else Thomsons or their reps could have done . i felt that a difficult situation was handled very well

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Does your insurance not cover for Pet Care??

Axa insurance covers for this, so if you got stranded, you could claim back the cattery fees... This is the insurance offered by Thomson and First Choice.

The reps can only be given as much information as they get, and it was Boa Vista Airport that was closed by the Cape Verde government, not by Thomson.

Health and Safety with flights is paramount, and they would not risk the safety of passengers lives, no matter how inconvenient this is to people's day to day life!!

Lucca
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

My daughter is there at the moment & the reason there are no flights is because of a sand storm! They said that might not be back to normal toll Sunday!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,239 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Anthony, you are responding to a post that is 11 months old!

Lucca
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Oh interesting that this happened this time last year too! The flights are distrupted now Jan 2013...

Nottingham
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Does anyone know of any other problems with sand storms in Boa Vista. We flew out on the 31st January and could not land was taken to Sal and then back to Tenerife of all places for 1 night. The hotel wasn't great and niether was it all inclusive which is what we paid for. Thomson are claiming Force Majeure but we are disputing that and taking them to the CAA as it appears this has happened many times before and the sandstorms are a regular occurance at certain times of the year. The service on the plane going there and back was also appaling.

Scarborough, England
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

My earlier post (Feb 2012) mentions we were stuck there for four days longer because of a sandstorm. I would really like to warn anyone with breathing problems i.e. asthma etc. to think twice before going to Boa Vista. A few days after we got back (having spent several days there struggling to breath) my husband ended up in hospital for 10 days with pneumonia after inhaling the sand/dust - and doctors actually said it was caused by the sandstorm.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

My wife & I lost a day of our holiday from Birmingham because we couldn;t land at BV. Thomson blamed dust storm reducing visibility but realistically it was down to the lack of lights on the runway as we were able to land readilly at Sal just 30 miles away before being redirected back to an awful hotel in Gran Canaria. Thomson are hiding behind the weather/force majeure clause so will not give compensation We went in early Feb and we are aware this happens quite frequently. The previous week's Manchester flight was similarly effected. Have you had any joy with the CAA? I've got through to the TUI UK director's office to no avail. Even they accepted that the BV airport was in need of upgrade (planned for 2015) so the weather excuse looks thin

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,239 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Just because it was clear 30 miles away doesn't mean there couldn't have been a viability issue on Boa Vista. If it was due to a lack of lights on the runway that is something that isn't within an airlines control.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

If you consider that such a large organisation as TUI totally dominate incoming flights from the UK, Germany and Switzerland and they work alongside the equally large RIU group of hotels who must have c 50 % lof hotel rooms on the island then surely they can influence and possibly help the financing of improvements to BV airport given the relative poverty of Cape Verde. From the uk alone Thompsons fly c 1000 passengers per week paying around £700 each. Say the same from Germany/Switzerland then the TUI group are probably taking £70m a year from passengers who are unaware of the possible problems of holidays in BV.

How much would adequate lights cost to install?

Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista
Recent Conversations