We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do it Yourself Holiday?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Do it Yourself Holiday?

Hi, Just been surfing the net for an holiday next March and come across flights for Boa Vista which seem cheap, around £270 each for 14 nights, my question is:

Is Boa Vista an all-inclusive island or would I be able to get self-catering etc, can;t seem to find apartments, the reason for this is to keep costs down, are there a few different resorts or is it just one big holiday complex that has got the monopoly on the island, if we managed to get an apartment what are the prices like for eating out and the price of a beer, spirit with mixer, are the local shops cheap?

Boa Vista looks a quiet island, is there any nightlife, is the crime rate high, is it safe to walk around at night, if not why?

I hope someone can answer some of my questions i would like to make a desicion as to whether to book the flights soon, before the prices go up, thank you.

uk
Level Contributor
546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Suggest you try the cape verde experience website - you might find some useful info on there while you're waiting for answers on here.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Hi emgee,

Thanks for your reply, i will have a look at that website.

What I am basically asking is Boa Vista an holiday destination where i could go independently, or are the hotels all-inclusive, are there apartments to rent and is it resonably priced to eat or buy out.

Thanks J

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Yes, you can go independently. The price of the packages is designed to encourage you to go all inclusive but as I am sure you know, going independently has a big benefit to the local community. There are plenty of apartments to rent and there are lots of small locally run hotels. Try Blue Banana for rentals facebook.com/pages/…114715515252546 or vista verde tours for hotel bookings http://www.vista-verde.com/

Yes it is a fairly quiet place but there are plenty of bars and restaurants in Sal Rei and I have never had a problem walking around at night (obviously take the usual precautions). Sal Rei a very small place and easy to get around.

Prices for food all over CV are not so great since everything is imported but you can get a beer for €1 and a simple local style meal for €3-4 (meat plus rice & chips & salad).

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Thanks Rashyroo,

Sounds exactly what we like when on holiday, i will look at those websites on my lunch hour, and if i can find a reasonably priced apartment or hotel i will book it.

Sal Rei sounds just what we like, to go out for a beer and talk to the local people and listen to their life experiences, and put money back to the local economy.

Any more info will be most appreciated, thanks.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Can anyone give me some links to apartments in Boa Vista.

I tried those that Rashyroo suggested but i have had my e-mails bounce back.

I dont fancy booking flights and then have no accommodation to go to!!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Hi

If your on facebook have a look for the group 'Boa Vista Cape Verde'

The guy is really good and answers any question you have very quickly.

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Here are the email addresses, which I use myself and have not had a problem with

bluebanana.cv@gmail.com

tanja@vista-verde.com

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Hi Guys, thank you for the replies, i will have a look now.

I have been looking on You Tube too, theres quite a few videos on there too.

If you look at say the ones from 2008/2009 I would say there is a difference there now on the island, a lot more construction work going on, do you think thats a good or bad thing?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

We had an independent holiday and visited several of the Cape Verde Islands, among them also Boa Vista. We rented the very nice appartment from the Migrante (www.migrante-guesthouse.com). It's steps from the Guesthouse on the top floor of a house on the main square with a beautiful veranda for relax. You can walk over to the guesthouse for your breakfast, included in the rental prize. The appartment has two bedrooms and two bathrooms and is very large and cozy. Profit from the full kitchen to prepare what is locally available, you most probably do a big favour to the local people instead of to an international company as when going to one of the AI-resorts and you really can see how people live. We bought fresh fish from the fishmarket - we could even see it from the distance. The women are selling the fish their husbands are bringing in. For fruit and vegetables there is the small communal market and several bakeries sell fresh bread produced several times a day. If you want to eat out, there are several good restaurants steps from your appartment and the beach is close by as well.

We never had security problems. People are very friendy and will greet you on the streets and children wave to you. There are not a lot of independent travelers there an guests from the big resorts come as a group for a short tour of the place and then leave again. So the place is really natural and not spoilt by tourism so far. There are also other small guesthouses offering appartments.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do it Yourself Holiday?

Thank you Engadin for a very formative review, very helpful, it made the resort a lot clearer to me regarding the way of life there and the people.

I look forward to going there and i am still costing it up, taking everything in to consideration.

Thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista