We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Lancaster, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

I am staying at the Riu Taureg from 18th to 28th November 2011 and plan to do a little casual shore fishing and book at least one day's charter.

Can anyone advise on:

1. Will I be able to catch off the beach with spinning gear or do I need a beech caster. I am happy to catch small fish, I don't plan to bring beechcasting gear.

2. If I can catch on robust spinning gear what lines / lures / hooks etc should I take?

3. Can anyone recommend one or more good charter operators, ideally English speaking?

4. Will I be able to join a group on a charter or will I need to book the boat on my own?

Regards, Mark.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
63 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Mark,

Can't help you at the moment, but I'm staying here in mid-October so should be able to give you a bit of info before your visit. I am planning to take a travel spinning rod with a selection of lures, hooks etc, to have a try off the beach. I won't have time to sort a boat trip, only staying for a week, but should be able to give you a bit of an update certainly on the shore fishing options.

Paul

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Hi

We're going to same hotel in Jan. Did you get any decent fishing?

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Hi

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Hi Mark

Regards

Dave

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Hi

Berkshire
Level Contributor
63 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Hi Dave,

You only needed to ask once :-)

Quick review of my fishing experience at the Touareg.

Don't take artifical baits, apart from small hokkais or mackeral feathers....use these to catch the very small fish, which you then use as bait. Or if you can't do that, ask nicely in the kitchen of the hotel, they will give you some squid or prawns.

The hotel operates a flag system as you will have read elsewhere on here in respect of swimming conditions.....take this into account! On red flag days, leave the rods in the hotel room and enjoy a few cocktails or beers round the pool....the waves and undertow can be very strong. Yellow or green flag, you'll be fine.

Fishing is straight-forwards beach fishing, 4-5oz of lead should do for most days, it is quite snaggy in places so you need to expect to lose a few rigs. My lure rod was well underpowered, a travel beach caster would be much more suitable.

Best area to fish, from the hotel, walk down to the beach, turn left and go for about 300 yards towards the rocks. Don't go as far as the rocks, the ground is far too rough, you'll lose gear every cast.

Expect to catch almost anything, I saw moray eels, sea bream, pompano type fish, and several reef fish similar to parrot fish. Also expect sharks! Not massive ones, seem to avarage around 5lb or so, but there are some very big ones out there so go with suitable gear.

There is a water sports centre on the beach in front of the hotel, talk to the guys there as they do guided outings so have a lot of local knowledge, and they'll also sell you bait if they have any spare. If you forget your gear, which I'm sure you won't, but they will hire out tackle, about £30 a day I think?

Hope this helps, and enjoy yourself!

Paul

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Thanks for the info Paul, much appreciated. Are there any deep sea boats locally do you know? If so, are they worth going on?

Dave

Berkshire
Level Contributor
63 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

I think the hotel can arrange some boat fishing, but any other you would have to travel up the island a bit. I believe the boat fishing is pretty good, but it is very dependant on the weather, which can be very windy, especially on the south of the island where the Touareg is located. There is a fair bit of info on boat fishing from Cape Verde island if you have a hunt round the web.

Paul

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Thanks Paul. I appreciate your advice. Looking forward to the break now and it looks the perfect place to recharge the batteries!

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing In Boa Vista, Cape Verde

Hi Dave

The boat fishing is excellent. You can either go out deep sea or take a trip to the other side of the island off of the Sal Rei harbour where you will catch lots of ground fish - red grouper etc

If you are keen on a deep sea trip it costs in the region of 450Eur for the day - full boat hire and you will catch Wahoo, Tuna, Sailfish and perhaps a Marlin. Alternatively you can beach fish with a guide

For this contact Danielle and have a look at http://www.sampeifish.com

Daniele: 00238 - 9827761 email: info@sampeifish.com)

Boa Vista really does have excellent fishing - it is also worth taking a taxi into town, buying some fish (bait) from the local fish market and then fishing off the rocks - I suggest heading towards Marine Beach Hotel (at the end of Cabral beach - 5min walk from town) and fishing oiff the rocks there. It drops straight into 20ft of water and you will catch all sorts including small sharks and Tuna right below you!! Hardest thing is keeping the bait on the hook and getting through to the bigger fish, so take lots of cotton and as Paul suggested try using a smaller fish as bait

For a map look at http://www.boavistaexperience.com/

You will be perfectly safe, but as the locals love their fishing they may come and watch. Also it is worth taking extra small hooks and a spool of line to give them some. For them fishing is food so if you can give them some line and hooks they will greatly appreciate it. Also they may want to keep some of the fish you catch rather than catch and release so have that in mind too.

You will have a great experience fishing there. It i some of the best fishing I have had anywhere in the world. Have a great time

Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista