We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train, rental car, and hotel question

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Train, rental car, and hotel question

We are thinking about making a trip to Niagara Falls in August, and we are considering taking Amtrak from NYC to Buffalo, but once we are there, we would need to rent a car.

Are there rental car agencies near or at the train station? If not, how easy is it to get from the train station to an airport hotel? The train arrives around 7PM on a Thursday.

If we do make the trip, we must have a two-bedroom suite. The best I have found is at a Residence Inn at the Buffalo airport. We would love to stay closer to the falls--either side--but I haven't found any other two-bedroom suites anywhere closer. We are a family of four--Mom, Dad, elderly FIL, and 9-year-old. FIL cannot stay in a hotel room alone, nor will connecting hotel rooms work, and a one-bedroom would ensure that Mom would not get any sleep.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a two-bedroom suite or even a family friendly B&B?

Thank you

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canada with Boat Ride...
1,093 Reviews
from $109.95*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls America and Canada...
1,139 Reviews
from $149.95*
Best Seller
Best of Niagara Falls Tour from...
818 Reviews
from $125.10*
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,788 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

Hi thedawnof31;

Do your plans include visiting the Canadian side of the Falls. Many more accommodation options (15,000 hotel rooms alone) on the Canadian side.

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border, by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

Best Regards

Edited: 2:15 am, July 05, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

I'm missing something: why won't connecting rooms work?

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

We intend to visit both sides. I've been looking at major chains, but most seem to be hotel rooms and not suites.

Connecting rooms won't work because of the second door. My FIL has dementia and while he can still travel, for safety, we must be in the same space. In the fall we stayed in a two-bedroom suite and that worked VERY well--so well that we want to try it again before we can no longer travel. I also need a kitchen to make sure he is comfortable and things are as familiar as possible.

There is a Marriott at the Buffalo airport that has a two-bedroom. I imagine the location is not ideal, but if we can work out transportation logistics--getting from train to rental car, then it might be the best option.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,058 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

Try Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, ON.

http://www.embassysuitesniagara.com/

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

Thank you. The room we would need at the Embassy Suites is almost $900 a night. So that's not going to work. :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,797 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

I understand, thank you for explaining.

Is there a reason you're planning to take the train instead of flying? If you have to get to Buffalo airport anyway, flying from NYC there may make more sense. You wouldn't have to worry about the rental car pick-up, either.

New York
Level Contributor
944 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

I would recommend looking at vacation rentals here on TripAdvisor or on VRBO.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,058 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

A couple more in Niagara Falls, ON to try:

http://www.daysbythefalls.com/

http://cliftonvictoriainnatthefalls.com/

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

Thank you for all the responses.

BrooklynBridge--FIL really wants to take the train because he has never taken a train trip. Flying presents different challenges, but it is still on the table. We may also drive up. If we can make the train and rental car work out, that's the first choice.

Misscrusty--we've looked a bit at VRBO, but if the Marriott works out, it will be cheaper and better than a VRBO. (It's a 2 story condo with breakfast included.)

fallsdude--thank you for those suggestions. The Days Inn looks great, but the suite is not available either of the time periods we want to go. The other does not seem to have a kitchen. While not a complete deal breaker, it would just be easier for my FIL if I can have the things he prefers on hand.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train, rental car, and hotel question

Ive gone to Niagara falls both by train and driving, and while the train ride was nice, it was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Driving was much faster