We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to plan short trip to the Falls

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Help to plan short trip to the Falls

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a short visit to the Falls in late September on a Saturday.I think we would like to view the Falls from the Canadian side but we will have a rental car and intend to stay the night on the US side.

My questions are;

1) Could you suggest somewhere on the US side where we can park the rental car and stay for a night?

2) Re above, we need somewhere which allows us to walk to the Canadian Falls, and back again - is this possible?

I've found a good rate for the Howard Johnson 'Closest to the Falls'.

From the map the HoJo appears just as close to the Rainbow Bridge as the Seneca or Sheraton at the Falls?

Would you agree and what do you think of the HoJo in general?

We are happy with somewhere basic, clean, with guest parking and close to the Bridge.

3) I think we would like to do the Hornblower boat trip and another activity, perhaps the Cave of the Winds or Journey behind the Falls. If we were to arrive at our base for 10am would we be able to get to the Falls area, do these activities and return by late evening (around 7pm)?

I'm not sure what time it gets dark in late Sept.

Thanks in advance.

(I've also posted this on the Canadian 'Niagara Falls' forum)

New York
Level Contributor
934 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to plan short trip to the Falls

<<Could you suggest somewhere on the US side where we can park the rental car and stay for a night?>>

Anywhere downtown is going to be close. Check TA for good reviews. My personal choice would be the Giacomo.

<<Re above, we need somewhere which allows us to walk to the Canadian Falls, and back again - is this possible?>>

Yes.

<<From the map the HoJo appears just as close to the Rainbow Bridge as the Seneca or Sheraton at the Falls?>>

They're really all pretty close, however, you need to be prepared to walk.

<<I think we would like to do the Hornblower boat trip and another activity, perhaps the Cave of the Winds or Journey behind the Falls. If we were to arrive at our base for 10am would we be able to get to the Falls area, do these activities and return by late evening (around 7pm)?>>

Yes, but keep in mind that Hornblower & Journey are on the CDN side, Maid of the Mist and Cave are on the US side. Both trips are similar. But I'd do all of your activities on one side, for convenience. The prices on the CDN side are usually a couple dollars more than on the US side.

<<I'm not sure what time it gets dark in late Sept.>>

Daylight savings ends in November, so you should have daylight until about 7pm until Sept.

Edited: 11:13 am, May 08, 2014
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to plan short trip to the Falls

You can normally take U.S. rental cars into Canada without any additional charges. You should, of course, confirm this with your specific car rental company, but I wouldn't rent from anyone who wanted to charge extra for this.

3. Re: Help to plan short trip to the Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 10, 2015