We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
1 post
Save Topic
Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

I am planning to drive down to Niagara from Newark in end of May. Is there a recommend route that is more scenic? Also I would be interested in knowing is there are points of attraction that I can visit on the way.

Edited: 5:26 pm, May 04, 2014
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,101 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

Hi SRusty;

Newark is approx. 420 miles / 670 km from Niagara Falls. How long do you have to make the trip ?

Best Regards

New York
Level Contributor
934 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

Definitely stop in the Fingerlakes. There are lakes (obviously), gorges/waterfalls, wineries, spas, the Sonnenberg Gardens, Letchworth State Park, Corning Museum of Glass... just to name a few attractions.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

Great recommendations already but I'll throw in Kinzua Bridge State Park in PA, Chautauqua County in Western, NY - http://www.tourchautauqua.com/Default.aspx

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

Letchworth SP and Corning Glass are pretty much right along the most direct interstate route and Watkins Glen State Park (one of the highlights of a great region) is not to far off route; instead of taking the interstate on this route, US 20A is a great alternative then you could pick up NY-21 along the west side of Canandaigua Lake to lovely little Naples then head part way down the east side of the same lake on NY-245 then pick NY-364 to Penn Yan (at the foot of Keuka Lake). I recommend detouring a bit up NY-54A along the lake to Branchport for some stupendous views. To get to Watkins Glen, take NY-54 north back in Penn Yan to NY-14 South along the west side of Seneca Lake. To get to Corning, you would then take NY-414 south which would take you out of the Finger Lakes to NY-17/I-86 where you head east. If you wanted more Finger Lakes, just head north on NY-414 along the east of of the same lake and either take it to Geneva/Seneca Falls or take NY-79 to Ithaca.

The rest of the route east to Newark doesn't have any must-see attractions right off the direct route IMO; you'd have to venture a bit further.

5. Re: Scenic Drive from Newark to Niagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 07, 2015