We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to niagara falls this winter

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving to niagara falls this winter

booked a car to drive with family from pittsburgh on new yr's eve. cld anyone who's done it b4 (driving there in winter) share some experiences/give advice pls? many thanks!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

Assuming that you don't have any winter driving experience, I'm not sure I would advise this trip unless the weather is absolutely clear on that day. The route is multi-lane freeway all the way and is kept clear during the winter, but the section of I90 from Erie to Buffalo is right along Lake Erie, and is notorious for sudden, lake effect snow storms that make driving treacherous. even for experienced winter drivers. Keep a close watch on weather reports for the southern Buffalo area, as it is very different there than Pittsburgh or even Niagara Falls.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

thank you. is there by any chance a "less dangerous" route to follow? and weather forecast for south buffalo wld be the same as buffalo? thanks again!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

The 'lake effect' snow squalls usually extend well into the southern tier region of western New York State, which is also quite mountainous (with several ski resorts). Any secondary road route from Cleveland to Buffalo would likely be just bad as the thruway (if not worse) during periods of snow and will probably take twice as long. The I79/I90 route is the safest route, but no route will be good during a snow storm.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

Definitely pay attention to the weather as you really have much choice as Fallsdude points out...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

many thanks! so we either fly into buffalo(probably burn a big hole in the pocket. even then, it's weather permitting right?) n then drive a much shorter distance or take it real slow, maybe even staying one night in between pitt and niagara at some vacation rental i guess. will definitely be keeping a close eye on the forecast!

thanks again for your replies!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

The warnings above are accurate but there is no way to know this far in advance what driving conditions will be like that day. The most important thing is to be flexible and willing to leave a day early or late depending on the forecast.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

" from Cleveland to Buffalo "

should have been " from Pittsburgh to Buffalo "

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

a quick (unrelated?) question here if i may - how many days does one "need" at niagara falls (strictly ny side) in this kinda season anyway? it's our first time ever and may well be a once in a lifetime experience but as you can probably "sense", there's a bit of doubt creeping in.....

thus said, it would be a unique place to spend new yr's eve. there'll be fireworks for the countdown i assume?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

As an Australian now living here, I really wouldn't recommend driving this route for someone from Perth unless you've spent months in Whistler or Colorado or Iceland. ;)

Why would you stay on the NY side? Even in winter, the Canadian side is better. You won't need a visa as Australians - definitely go over. You won't need more than a night in winter as you can't do Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds etc.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to niagara falls this winter

thanks kateoz! it's a pity some one in the family is not an aussie :-( and since no one likes to be left behind...