We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning trip.

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning trip.

I've been serching info since we decided to go to NF this year and I found this message board. I hoping you can help me with some questions.

We are driving in from the Hudson Valley NY. Looking for a good cheap room doesn't have to be anything with perks. I will most likley use Hotwire or Priceline, as I always do when traveling. Any tips on what area to put in? Which would be the best side to look for a room Can. or NY? We're actually thinking of maybe a few days on each side.

How many days would you say we would need to see the best things?

Any do not miss things? I know about the Maid of the Mist but what else should we make sure we see or do? Any other budget ideas?

Any good websites to search? Looking for some with good maps of the area. Anything else you can thing of to send my way.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I search but looking for a good start for people who know the area.

Thanks

Judy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning trip.

If you are driving I'd say stay on the American side, the rooms are much cheaper, the only trade off is crossing the border every day.

But then again, the maid of the mist on the american side is nowhere near as busy as the one on the canadian side

NY
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning trip.

Thanks. From all I read it's the US side I think. We might do a night on the Can. side and visit some things on that side.

Any other tips?

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning trip.

I love Fort Niagara-it is fun, educational, relatively inexpensive and the view of Lake Ontario is awesome- It is in Youngstown which is about 30 minute-downriver from the Falls-

In fact I answered a question from another poster and I was suprised to see that the cottages in this area are so reasonable-

check out

http://www.windigocottage.com/

This cottage is right in Youngstown-right on the lake and comes in at under 100.00 a day.

All the attractions are a short drive away. And Fort Niagara has a giant pool, if you get tired of swimming in the lake-just a suggestion.

Lewiston, which is in between Youngstown and Niagara Falls has free events at ArtPark for the whole family www.artpark.net-it is a great experience and there is a beautiful view of the lower river-

also there is the Whirlpool Jetboat dock a few blocks away-

It is pricey but there is a coupon online, and it will be a highlight of yur trip, we go every year, and my kids cannot wait.

Whirlpool Park and devils hole are free and they sport views that are stunning, whirlpool park has a hiking trail that goes right down the gorge to the rapids, it is a tough walk that is rewarded with unsurpassed beauty.

The summer has many festivals-fried dough is every where-

there are Fireworks over the Falls every Friday free free free.

If you kids are younger-Fantasy Island is an amusement park that is small, cheap and caters to younger kids-but the water park is cool

That is about 20 minutes away in Grand Island.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning trip.

Judy,

I found this tip from another web site, if you go into hotwire and you search for packages they will give you the name of the hotel-then you go and look just for the hotel room and you can match the hotel amenities-that is one way to try to identify the hotel.

I went in to Niagara Falls New york and searched for June 26th to July 1st and found a 3-star hotel for 59.00 a night.

That is a great price.

I think they tell you the name of the hotel on Priceline-

5. Re: Need help planning trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 pm, May 24, 2006
PA
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning trip.

I would get the Passport to the Falls, from the NY side it's only about $25 for adults (includes Maid of the Mist, Cave of Winds, Aquarium, Observation deck, Trolley and a few other things).

We are going to NF in early June and we got the Great Gorge Pass (CA side for about $40 adults- includes Maid of the Mist, Journey Behind the Falls, Butterfly Conservatory and White Water walk). We are staying on the Canadian side for two nights and spending 1 day in the NY side. We got a room @ Quality Inn Clifton Hill for 2 nights for $169.00 (with taxes! It also includes 2 free continental breakfast for 2 mornings- children are free and a $30 food voucher towards lunch or dinner at Kelsey's or Boston Pizza).

I've been researching for a little while now, from what I understand the definately not to be missed attractions seems to be, Maid of the Mist, Cave of Winds, White Water Walk, one of the towers Skylon or Minolta Tower. For the Canadian side there is mixed reviews about Clifton Hill- either you like it or hate it, basically a tourist trap but I heard good reviews about the Great Canadian Midway (an arcade).

Have a fun time!

PA
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning trip.

A helpful website to get an idea of prices is niagarafrontier.com (I believe- it has a listing of attractions and there prices).

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning trip.

Cave of the Winds on the NY side is a must-do....

Have Fun !

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning trip.

Cave of the Winds on the NY side is a must-do....

Have Fun !

10. Re: Need help planning trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 13, 2009