We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US was my favorite side of the Falls

Washington
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
US was my favorite side of the Falls

I have to give my honest opinion and it will probably suprise some people but my favorite side of the Falls was the US side. I felt that the Canadian side was way too commercialized, in fact it was a ZOO! I found it very refreshing and alot more relaxing on the US side. With the addition of the observation tower, you can get a good view of both falls, the Maid of of Mist was the same on both sides and the Cave of the Winds was so much better than Journey Behind the Falls on the Canadian side. Also we took the jet boat tour (highly reccommended) which can be done on either side US or Canada. If I had it all over to do again, I would have stayed on the US side and walked over to Canada for a day, by car it took us 2 hours to go over the Rainbow Bridge into Canada and an hour to get back to the US the next day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

It's the one place in Canada that is more commercialized than the States! :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

'the Canadian side was way too commercialized...."

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

You've got it right, Jack. I remember the U.S. side as being more authentically habitable. That CDN side feels like a joke gone wrong but still good for the odd lively visit.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

Yes, Niagara Falls is not my favourite destination. The tacky stores on Clifton Hill, the crowds, but you must admit that the view from our side (the Canadian one) is so much better. Sure chicken wings taste better (and cost much less) on the American side, but why do people come to Niagara Falls in the first place ?????

Washington
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

I guess my outlook on the whole experience (this is my 2nd visit both times we stayed on the Canadian side) was, of course go to the Canadian side for spectacular views but I would still stay on the US side and just walk over the border, its so much less of a hassle than driving over. I would do Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds and the jet boat tour on the US side(we did MOTM and Jet Boats on Canadian side this time) and on the Candian side Journey Behind the Falls (although I did like the Niagara Fury too) We also stayed for the fireworks(Canadian side) which lasted all but 5 minutes and we had waited 2 hours for a good spot to watch them....really disappointing! We have visited Victoria Falls in Zambia and Iguazu Falls in Argentina and loved how spectacular both falls were in a natural setting. We visited NF (both sides) 20 years ago and it just seems like the Canadian side is getting way too commercialized, it just takes away from the Falls itself, but this is only in my opinion.

New York
Level Contributor
935 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

fishman, as a part-time resident of NF, USA, I am so pleased to hear you say that.

There are so many threads on TA about Canadian vs. US side, and so many people overlook the fact that the two are simply different experiences. For those who want a more natural experience (and the opportunity to get closer to the Falls) then the US side it is. For those with young kids desiring classic tourist attractions, the Canadian side will satisfy those people.

I for one thank you for spending your money on the US side. NF, USA has had more than its share of economic hardship over the past several decades and as a local I appreciate the kind words about our area :)

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

So true. I wish I read your review and some others before I went. The Canadian side is way too comercialized. I guess there is a market for everything, but we did not care forClifton HIll at all - although it is a 10 year old's dream with all the carnival type fun houses and Ripley Believe it or Not type places.

Not worth the three hours that it takes to cross the bridge into Canada and then to return to the US. The Falls are worth seeing, but just do not be fooled by all the reviews that say the Canadian side is so much better.

Best thing to do is stay out in Buffalo somewhere and just drive in. The city of Niagara Falls on the US side is clearly run down.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

I just went to see the Falls & that was it for me. The Canadian side is far superior to the US side for this, in my opinion. The walk from the Rainbow bridge to Table Rock just gets better & better the closer you get

The view of the US falls from the US side is completely different, I didn't realise what a zig-zag shape the top of the US falls had, as I've only seen it from the Canadin side in the past. Worth going over just to see this

An observation tower on Goat island would be great for tourists

dutchess county, ny
Level Contributor
15 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

You can't beat the view on the Canadian side, however Cave of the Winds was WAY better than Journey behind the Falls. The Canadian side I have found gets VERY congested. One of the benefits of the Canadian side is that a lot of their attractions are open much later than ours.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

I've always thought so also! But I guess it depends on what you're looking for. A quieter more with nature (USA) or busy hustle bustle (Canadian), to each their own!

10. Re: US was my favorite side of the Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 16, 2013