We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagra, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec City from CA

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Niagra, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec City from CA

We are unexpectedly going to Virginia in May & wanted to see these parts of Canada. We would generally use a tour company, but they are booked up. We would begin in Washington DC and end up in SF, CA.

How would you folks suggest we take in the areas around these cities? We have about 10-14 days available. We've heard public transit is good for in & around Montreal & Quebec City. But, how could we get from Toronto to Niagra/Niagra on the Lake then on to Montreal & Quebec City?

Also, can you direct us to information on 1000 Lakes area and information about trips to take on the St Lawrence seaway? Are these areas you'd recommend? Thanks much.

Over The Falls Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Gray Line Niagara Falls Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Niagara Pedicab
Sightseeing Tours
Niagara Falls Adventure Tours
Walking Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
New York
Level Contributor
940 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagra, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec City from CA

This is probably more appropriately posted in the Niagara Falls, ONTARIO forum, but I will say that going from Niagara-Toronto-Montreal-Quebec is easier than starting in Toronto, heading south, and then back to Montreal unless you are driving (based on your post it sounds like you're not).

Most of the trains from Niagara to Montreal from Niagara pass through Toronto anyway. To catch a flight you would either need to fly from YYZ to YUL (last summer I paid about $239 RT in US dollars) or from BUF to YUL (outrageously expensive, plus a layover in NYC).

From Montreal you can take a train to Quebec City, one of my favorite trips and two of my favorite cities...in the world. It's about 3 hours by train. Both cities are very easy to navigate by public transport. Montreal has an excellent rail system with 24 or 36-hour (not sure) passes that can get you all over the city. Old Quebec is pretty much walkable (lots of hills!) because it is a walled city so everything is pretty much central. The Via Rail station is right outside the Old City.

I'm not sure about your time frame, sounds like a lot to do in so little time, but IMO Montreal and especially Quebec City are gems of North America (and affordable to boot), and not worth missing.

Caracas
Level Contributor
700 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagra, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec City from CA

Hi misscrusty. In your opinion, how many days I need to do Niagara falls-Toronto-Montreal-Quebec? Thank you.

New York
Level Contributor
940 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagra, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec City from CA

I would say at least a week. I spent 5 days in Montreal and Quebec City and felt like it was just enough time on a very rigorous schedule. Toronto is at least another 2 days and the Falls can be another 1-2 days, depending on what you want to do.

Keep in mind that you'll have to account for transport time between Toronto and Montreal. It is 6 hours by car and about an hour by plane (don't forget to take into consideration the time it takes to park at the airport, get through security, etc. etc.) I think we did a 2pm flight leaving TO and got settled into our hotel in Montreal around 5, giving us about 4 hours of daylight to frolick the first day (it was in July).

4. Re: Niagra, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec City from CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, June 15, 2013