We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late April and sightseeing?

Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Late April and sightseeing?

We plan to visit NF late April.-- am I correct that the Maid of the Mist will be not running then? Will most things be open. We aren't interested in wax museums, shopping, believe it or not stuff...

2 adults in their 50's. like nature, museums, history, spring flowers.

Anything within driving distance of NF that may fit those interests?

It may be possible to switch date to early Oct. would that be better.

Thought April may have some hotel discounts before the tourist season? Thank you

New York
Level Contributor
935 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

Hi-

Late April would be a nice to visit, but yes the major attractions typically don't open until May 1. Check www.niagarafallsstatepark.com/default.aspx for a definitive schedule for Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds.

The Jetboat Tour is a blast, located in nearby Lewiston, and that may open earlier than the others. http://www.whirlpooljet.com/default.aspx

Based on your interests I would stay on the US side. As for museums, there are three great art museums with high quality work all within 20 minutes of Niagara Falls: The Castellani (Niagara Univeristy), Birchfield-Penney (Bufflao State College), and the Albright-Knox (in the City of Buffalo).

Devaux Woods State Park does, I believe, have some nice spring flowers, but 10 minutes south of Buffalo (30 mins from Falls) is a great Botanical Garden. http://www.buffalogardens.com/

Also in Buffalo is Delaware Park (the Central Park of Buffalo, designed by Olmstead). You could spend a half-day there just taking in the scenery and walking the path. www.bfloparks.org/index.php/parks/delaware

For history, they have reinactments at Old Fort Niagara, which is really a beautiful spot overlooking Lake Ontario. It is about a 10 minute drive north of Niagara Falls. http://oldfortniagara.org/

Feel free to PM me with any other recommendations. Happy travels!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

Maid of the Mist will almost certainly be operating by the end of April this year. The only thing that determines their opening date is when all the ice in the Niagara River and Lake Erie is gone, and with this years mild winter there is no ice to worry about. I would expect it to be open in early April, maybe the earliest ever.

Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

misscrusty - thanks for all the info.. sounds like lots of things

fallsdude - Didn't know it had anything to do with ice -- figured it had more to do with "tourist" season.. Good to know about this.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

The Maid of the Mist should be running by the end of April, but it has been bought by a different company and we are still waiting to find out if they are going to be allowed to put the boats in the water....at least l havent heard yet. As for nature and spring flowers their is a ton of things to do on the Canadian side. This website shows some garden and nature ideas

niagaraparks.com/garden-trail/botanical-gard…

Botanical gardens, butterfly museum, floral clock, lilac gardens, heritage gardens, and many more

Take a ride on the aero car over the horseshoe falls or go on an amazing walk down the gorge.

For extrra beauty take a 20 minute ride to the small town of Niagara on the Lake. Visit old Fort George, directly across from Fort Niagara, this year is the 200th annicersary for the war of 1812 and there is so much going on in Niagara in the Lake. Parades everyday, reinactments and the flowers there are on steroids, they must be.

Enjoy

Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

carolmon - thanks for the heads up on the Maid of the Mist. And, I'll check out Old Fort George. Yes, we'd planned to cross over in Canada at Niagara Falls and then do more sightseeing in Canada.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,936 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

Hi joeyillinois;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

Thanks for the heads up on what to bring. I was going to check with my auto ins. to make sure it covered Canada and was bringing passport. Had never heard of an enhanced drivers license or the trusted traveler program. I'll check that out. Really looking forward to the trip!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

A couple of corrections to Carolmon's post.

The Maid of the Mist has not been bought. The Niagara (Canada) Parks Commission has awarded the contract to operate boats in the river to a new company starting in 2014. As this only affects the Canadian side, the MOTM will still, presumably, operate on the U.S. side. There was some speculation that MOTM would choose to not run from the Canadian side this year and next (being in a huff at not winning the contract), but that is highly unlikely. If it were to happen, the new company (Hornblower Canada) has stated that they could be in operation this year. In any case, there WILL be boat tours to the base of the Falls available this year.

Also, the Aero Car is not over the Horseshoe Falls, it is over the Whirlpool, a mile downriver from the Falls.

Edited: 8:27 am, March 04, 2012
Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

Thanks for the clarifications, fallsdude, been reading about Maid of the mist. Hopefully will be able to go on it. Have lots of stuff to look forward to.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late April and sightseeing?

My mistake fallsdude!! Not bought, just contracted out to a different company.....but it looks like it will be running this season........and the Whirlpool Aero car!!! Thanks for the correction!!