We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what happened to the city in 50 years?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
415 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what happened to the city in 50 years?

When I was a child, Niagara Falls was a lovely little city. I remember a pretty downtown ( were there actually two different "downtown" streets?) , lots of gift shops, motels, and, of course, the falls.

Now it's kind of an empty shell.

I've asked people who live or lived there and nobody seems to be able to answer the question: what happened? I hear about chemical spills and corrupt government...

As a tourist now... is there a "pretty area" of the city where I can stay? I love Goat Island and visiting right UNDER the falls... but where can one stay overnight now, please, and not look out at very sad neighborhoods?

Thanks.

Lynn in Rochester, NY

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: what happened to the city in 50 years?

Lynn - No feud here, IMO; just passionate discussion. I always come in peace!!

Enjoy your next visit to NF.

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: what happened to the city in 50 years?

For interesting reading about Niagara Falls NY and surrounding area...

www.niagarafallsreporter.com/index.html

Politics, History, Corruption, and Etc... a new and exciting episode every week!

13. Re: what happened to the city in 50 years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 17, 2013