We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near amtrak station

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Parking near amtrak station

Hello all,

I am planning a trip to NYC for new years from Hamilton, ON. Looking to take the train down (as driving the day after a huge party absolutely stinks). I was looking into taking amtrak from Niagara Falls NY to Penn Station because It's 40$ per person cheaper than getting on in Grimsby, ON (which is probably 15 mins away from me). My question is:

Is it best to look for long-term parking around the amtrak station and drive through customs, or to spend the extra money and deal with customs on the train and have no parking hassles?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near amtrak station

Hi MJabora;

While it is a short ride from Grimsby to the border, the train is scheduled to spend 2 hours clearing US Customs. You must remain in your seat for the duration.

Depending on how many people are aboard, it may take less time, but even an hour would seem like an eternity.

Perhaps someone local can assist you with secure parking on the American side.

Best Regards

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near amtrak station

There are some short and long term parking spots at the station, but it is unattended and I would never leave my car there. It is in a depressed, industrial/residential area about 5km from the Falls. Spend the extra time and money and save your car.

Dundas, ON
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near amtrak station

Im from Dundas... planning the same trip.. Out of curiosity

what did you decide?

New York
Level Contributor
930 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near amtrak station

Fallsdude, have you heard of any break-ins at the Amtrak station?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near amtrak station

Nope!! But I've made a point of going to the station to see it for myself, and I wouldn't leave my car there in a million years.

Hamilton, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near amtrak station

DO NOT leave your car there. Very sketchy. Its underneath an overpass and is in a less monitored area of the city. It's definitely worth it to park at a hotel - I used Adam's Mark at $10 a day and just gave them my license plate and contact number.

7. Re: Parking near amtrak station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, June 22, 2013