We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advise

Malaysia
3 posts
Save Topic
Trip Advise

I am coming to New York in March and staying for 5 nights. Is it feasible to travel via land to Niagara falls? How long will the drive take?

Thanks

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Advise

im confused. are you traveling to niagara falls and want to land in new york city? or are you traveling to new york city and want to have a side trip to niagara? the drive from new york city to niagara falls is about 8 hours, you would have to stay overnight without a doubt. although, a lot of people decide just to book airfare. jetblue's hub is at jfk and flights between new york city and buffalo are very very inexpensive. there's a lot of posts on this issue. rather than driving, its more feaaible to book a flight from jfk to buf in the early morning and go back late at night.

Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Advise

Thanks Danny , I am actually flying in to stay in New York. Would a 1 day flight trip be enough to see niagara falls?

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Advise

definately enough because it wont be peak season yet and not all attractions will be running, ie: maid of the mist

sydney
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Advise

hi there,

I was interested to jump in here and also get some details as I am travelling to NY in late April and want to make a side trip to Niagara falls. Will the maid of the mist be open by then - what is the best way to find out?

Also if I get an air(buffalo)/hotel deal at the falls will it be easy to get around

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Advise

maid of the mist is always open by the unofficial beginning of summer in our corner of the world, memorial day, last weekend in may. before that its sketchy. weve had a very mild winter, its been the warmest january in 50 years, not only in buffalo and niagara fall but in the whole northeast. if things stay as they are, temperatures around freezing, maid of the mist will be open early. there wont be any way to tell for at least another month though. it takes a while for everything to be set up and for the boats to be lowered into the river, well all know a few weeks in advance.

once you land at BUF theres many options to get to niagara falls. niagara airbus is one of them. other posters have made it popular but i wont lie, im very unfamiliar with it. you can check out the area's transit authority's website, nfta.com for some information that might be useful. in all honesty though, rent a car, park it in a lot in niagara, do what you came to do and drive back down to the airport at night. if your gonna be by yourself, you might feel more comfortable taking a shuttle service to niagara from the airport. once your in niagara, everything is reachable by niagara, you could even walk accross the border if you wanted to.