We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls in July

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls in July

We will be driving from Ky on our way to Alexandria Bay.

We will pick up one daughter flying into the Buffalo airport from Orlando to meet up with us. We only have that one night, plus part of the next day, before we head out again. So, we would like information on a hotel with a view of the falls, preferably....and an idea of what is the most important part of seeing the falls with just a short bit of time.

Should we do Maid of the Mist? Should we stay on the American side or the Canadian side?

If we drove through Canada up towards Watertown, would it be a longer drive than just going the US roads?

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls in July

Powcat,

Sorry, I can't help you with your "which route" question, but I'll try to give you a little other useful information.

First off, note that there are 2 cities of Niagara Falls. There is Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls Ontario Canada across the "Rainbow Bridge". The falls flow from the US side in the direction of the Canadian side. If you want a falls-view hotel, you will need to be on the Canadian side. I stayed at the Marriott Fallsview last year. Fantastic views! We were on the 16th floor. From what I have read, all the rooms are falls-view. I'm not sure if any of the lower floors are partial view due to being lower. From our room, you could see both the Canadian and American falls. I believe some of the other hotels in this cluster are built where you see one or the other, but seeing both falls from the same window is not likely. Be advised that there are a couple of Marriotts in Niagara Falls Ontario. Be sure you book the "Falls-view" one. It's $$$ though!

I'd say the Maid of the Mist is one of those "must do's" while there. It is a very unique experience! If you are on limited schedule while there, I'd suggest you just do the Maid ride and walk the park on the Canadian side the flowers and gardens are beautiful!

I suggest you check out the forum under Canada / Ontario / Niagara Falls.... There are thousands of posts there which will help you!

Have a great trip!

Westernmass

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
30,199 posts
6,234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls in July

We stayed once at the Sheraton Hotel on the Canadian side and had a fabulous view of the falls. I think you can ask for it on their web side. Personally I like the Canadian side more for the views than the American side. This view is gorgeous..and drive between Buffalo and Canadian side was fine (not sure with the recent Canadian customs passport rule though if that is making any difference as this is the first summer for it to be in effect.)

Definitely do Maid of the Mist....it is the thing we remember the most.

The combinations is perfect. You can skip going in the high bulddings, etc. if you get a good room at the Sheraton.

www.fallsview.com/NiagaraFallsRooms.shtml

(Note: There is a ticky tacky part of Niagara Falls that is not worth visiting....so stay with these for a nice trip to the area.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls in July

Thank you both for your great suggestions.

I will check out everything. We are looking forward to the trip.

Niagara Falls, NY
Level Contributor
495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls in July

Just to clarify: It's a myth that you need a passport to drive across the border. Maybe someday, but it's still tied up in congress.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls in July

The Falls are on the US side, on the US side you can stand right next to the Falls, on the Canadian side you get a panoramic view...

The US side has a more park like setting, whereas as the Canadian side is a more honky-tonk appeal.....

chesterfield,va
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara Falls in July

We went there last June and stayed on the American side for 2 days at the Hampton Inn and went to the park at night to see the falls all lit up . ON the American side you can only see a side glimps of the falls but are right near them. You can almost feel them. IF you want a front head on view you need to go to the Canadian side. Falls are further away but you get a better view. On Canadian side we stayed at the Embassy Suites. Both sides have their good and bad pts. American is low key , less crowded more natural , Canadian side is better view, more crowds, more to do, and very commercial. American side is cheaper for attractions. Canadian side is very expensive. They tax for everything. Hope this helps. Falls themselves are just beautiful no matter which side you choose.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara Falls in July

Thanks everyone. We decided to stay on the Canadian side.

You are right, it is VERY pricey. I had rented a brand new 3400 sq. ft. cabin in Gatlinburg, Tn. with an awesome view of the mountains for less than our room for 6 people is going to cost us at the Embassy Suites. But, it will be a one time deal so I guess we can splurge.

chesterfield,va
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara Falls in July

You will absolutely love the Embassy Suites. Nice pool, great view, right across from the falls. At night they are lit up beautifully. Maid of the Mist is truely awesome. YOU must experience this once in your life . You will be so glad you did.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagara Falls in July

Thanks. I am really looking forward to going.

10. Re: Niagara Falls in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 01, 2009