We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my schedule for a one day trip from NYC to Falls OK ?

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
893 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Is my schedule for a one day trip from NYC to Falls OK ?

We'll come in beginning of May for one week in NYC and a one day trip to the falls.

I checked on Bluejet airways website, there is a flight that arrives in Buffalo airport at 8:10AM and an other that leaves back to NYC at 7:30 PM.

Is it enough to visit the main things ? Walk on the canadan side, Maid of the Mist, may be Cave of the winds also. What else ?

Is it too much time and could we have a latter flight in the morning or a sooner one in the evening : Continental has a flight that arrive at 9:02AM and leaves at 6:05PM. Should it be enough ?

In the forum, many people say Bluejet is the "nicest company". Any idea about why they say that ? It is De Havilland airliner with propelled engine, as Continental is B737 that is supposed to be more confortable... I don't understand

An other silly question :

On the Maid of the Mist video, every body wears a blue rain coat. Is it provided when we board the boat, or do we have to buy it or to come with our ?

Thanks for help.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my schedule for a one day trip from NYC to Falls OK ?

I think it's doable. I would take the flights that would give you the most possible time on the ground for your visit.

You will have to figure out how you're getting from the Buffalo airport to Niagara Falls (about 40 minutes drive if memory serves me right). I'm sure you can get onto the net and check some tour companies or car rental agencies. Crossing the border into Canada should be no problem at all, but I would double check with your embassy as well as the Canadian tourist board, as well as the car agency to see what their policy is about crossing the border.

Cave of the Winds and Maid of the Mist are both excellent choices for activities. The blue raincoats you see everyone wearing are given out free and you can keep them as a momento. Believe me, you will definitely need them! Be aware that taking pictures once the boat gets close to the base of the Horseshoe Falls is impossible because your camera will get soaked and the lens covered with spray from the falls...and so will you. It's a great experience....don't miss it. I would check online to see if you can purchase tickets for MOTM and Cave of the Winds beforehand. This way, perhaps can save valuable time by not having to stand on line. Check out Journey Behind the Falls. I'm not sure if it's the same thing as Cave of the Winds. Journey Behind the Falls takes you down by elevator next to the Horseshoe Falls and deposits you onto a large outdoor ledge very near the base of the falls. Amazing photo op! There are also TONS of touristy things (kitschy museums like "Ripley's Believe it or Not", "House of Doom", Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum", Daredevil Museum, etc.) to do on the Canadian Side in an area near Clifton Hill (right off of the main drag (Victoria Blvd.) that runs parallel to the gorge on the Canadian Side.

Jet Blue is a very popular airline. Generally speaking, they offer affordable rates, and the people who work for them are very friendly and helpful. Our family uses them ALL the time whenever possible. Good choice.

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
893 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my schedule for a one day trip from NYC to Falls OK ?

And what about US arways, it is the cheapest fare I found ?

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my schedule for a one day trip from NYC to Falls OK ?

US Airways is also a well known and reliable airline. I'd say "go for it" if the fare is cheaper. I'm always one for saving money whenever I can! Good travels!

4. Re: Is my schedule for a one day trip from NYC to Falls OK ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 27, 2009