We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls from NY

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls from NY

Hi,

I am travelling with my parents and wife to NY, and we have set aside 6 July - 9 July for a Niagara Falls trip, in the main. If we can add other nearby destinations, then we will do so. A couple of questions from me:

1. Is it worth using those days only for Niagara Falls or should I plan nearby cities such as Toronto and Montreal?

2. Are the guided coach tours from New York any good?

To give further context - my parents are elderly and we are all vegetarians and we're Indian. I have heard that the guided tours mainly cater to the Chinese market and may not be vegetarian friendly. To top all this, my mum's a cancer patient, and we can't make it too hectic for her.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

Montreal is not nearby to Niagara Falls.

It will take a day each to get to and from Niagara Falls from NYC. That gives you two days to visit. I think a day at Niagara Falls is enough, but it will be difficult to do anything else without your own car. If your parents have to take it easy, I wouldn't go anywhere else than Niagara Falls.

Post your question on the Niagara Falls, Canada forum. The regular posters there are very helpful.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

You could perhaps visit Letchworth State Park. You can self-drive through the park and stop at whatever of the many overlooks you'd like. Two of the main park waterfalls can be seen with very little effort (Middle and Upper Falls). It is a 17 mile drive (one way) through the park so you may want to plan on an overnight in a nearby town or at the Glen Iris Inn (there is a restaurant as well as rooms) within the park if this option is of interest to you. Middle Falls can be seen from the Glen Iris Inn as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

Thank you Rick - I will do that. Perhaps I should just do Toronto.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

The tours are very long hours sitting on a bus, poor motels and bad food.

If you don;t want to drive - which I think would be easiest on your mother since you can stop whenever and wherever you want - then I would fly into and out of Buffalo - or Buffalo one way and Toronto the other. Monteral is too far for this trip. Do you have the necessary visas for Canada and reentering the US?

Edited: 8:19 pm, June 17, 2017
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,877 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

Citizens of the UK only require their valid passports to enter Canada - no Visas required.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

We traveled to Niagara Falls last August with my elderly father-in-law.

We took Amtrak. We chose it for a few reasons: constant access to a bathroom, able to walk around, spacious seating, and ability to bring a picnic. We actually stayed in Buffalo and rented a car, but we could have easily stayed on the Canadian side carless. While visiting Niagara Falls, we parked the car and used the bus system, the WEGO. It is very nice and is used by the tourists. Since dad is slower and easily tires, It took us two days to see the attractions at the falls.

There was a fair amount of food choices and I remember seeing many Asian restaurants, so it shouldn't be too difficult finding vegetarian items.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

Since you are traveling with parents, best option would be to travel at your own pace. I would suggest spending all the time at Niagara Falls instead of rushing to multiple destinations. Parents will surely enjoy "Maid of the Mist" boat ride. Also, you can take them to the various viewpoints, observation deck, fireworks etc. If you have extra time, you might also want to check Fort Niagara if that interests you.

There is a food court near Niagara falls state park which has Indian food, apart from that there are atleast 2 indian restaurants nearby. Even other cuisines have vegetarian options, so food will not be a problem.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

I would like to add: even from parking lot, there will be some walk to reach the viewpoints, hopefully that would be fine for your parents. Also, I would suggest doing Maid of the Mist in morning when the crowds are less so that you don't have to wait in a long line.

9. Re: Niagara Falls from NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 25, 2018