We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

Is the scenery worth the 7-8 hr journey by train

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canada with Boat Ride...
1,093 Reviews
from $109.95*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls America and Canada...
1,139 Reviews
from $149.95*
Best Seller
Best of Niagara Falls Tour from...
818 Reviews
from $125.10*
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
249 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

The scenery of the falls or the scenery of the train ride?

The scenery of the train ride...no, not compared to flying.

The scenery of the falls? Maybe.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

the scenery on the amtrak

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

No. Fly.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

Also it is longer than 7-8 hours I believe.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,810 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

>>Also it is longer than 7-8 hours I believe.<<

Depending on your departure time, the scheduled duration is between 9.25 hours & 9.75hours. It is also prone to delays more than 12% of the time.

https:/…OTPPageHorizontalRouteOverview

Best Regards

Westfield, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

that train is a slow boat to China. The only pretty thing is when you get by Albany and start heading south into NYC you can get some nice Hudson River views. Fly.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

We took the Amtrak from NYC to Buffalo last summer--it was very comfortable and pleasant. It took about 9 hours there and 11 back. Sometimes the view wasn't much at all, other times is was really nice to see the towns and properties. Along the Hudson River was the most scenic nature views.

Flying really wasn't an option for us and it was a lot more comfortable than a car. The seats are big and every one has an electrical outlet. We brought food, drinks, books, movies, and games. There was also a snack car. We were able to walk around and relax. It was also surprisingly inexpensive. We are four--2 adults, 1 senior, and 1 child and it was less than $400 for the four us round trip.

If you have the time, and you want to try a train trip that is long, but not over night, it could be a great option.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

@thedawnof31: Hi ,you said in your reply "but not over night, it could be a great option." . Why did you specifically mention if not overnight, due to any safety issues? I am planning to travel with my wife next month from Niagara to NYC via 2:30pm Amtrak service which reaches NY at 11:45pm night. I am a bit confused if it would be convenient enough to go with this option from comfort and safety perspective in train and transit at NY during midnight. Can you pls assist.

Edited: 3:45 pm, August 14, 2017
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

@thedawnof31: Hi ,you said in your reply "but not over night, it could be a great option." . Why did you specifically mention if not overnight, due to any safety issues? I am planning to travel with my wife next month from Niagara to NYC via 2:30pm Amtrak service which reaches NY at 11:45pm night. I was a bit confused if it would be convenient enough to go with this option from comfort and safety perspective in train and transit at NY during midnight. Can you pls assist.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak. Niagara Falls to New york

Hi Sanjith--I meant a train trip that is long but not so long that you sleep on the train. There are many train trips that involved an overnight train trip. Many people hesitate to take train trips that involve sleeping on the train.

There were no safety concerns at all. We arrived in Buffalo around 8PM--we got off before Niagara because our hotel was in Buffalo, and we used Buffalo as a base to visit a few things in the area. We left Buffalo on a mid-morning train but did not reach NYC until around 9:30PM.

We really enjoyed the train and it was a great choice for our family.