We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

Boston
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

The info on the Mohonk Mountain House website is somewhat lacking in regard to day passes. As I understand it, you can get a hiker's pass that gives you access to the grounds but not the 'house'. If you want to get into the house, you must make a reservation for breakfast, lunch or dinner and thereby access both the house and grounds.

Can anyone tell me more about what to expect inside the house? By going with the dinner reservation option, would we have access to just the restaraunt and not much more? Or are there lobby areas, cocktail lounges and/or other public areas that would allow you to soak up more ambiance while on the day pass? Otherwise, based on the so-so reviews of the food and the high meal costs, I'd be inclined to get the hiker pass and bring picnic food.

On a separate note, can you get to the often photographed elevated viewpoint that overlooks the hotel and lake without being on hotel property? Say perhaps from the Mohonk Preserve?

upstate NY
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

Hi there from a local. The Mohonk Mountain House is unique and wonderful, well worth a visit. The Preserve is about 6,000 acres of surrounding wilderness, also very beautiful & worth visiting. A day pass gives you access to the preserve, so if you don't wish to pay for a meal to the mountain house (and the food is so-so, as you noted) opt for the day pass, but be prepared to hike a couple of miles - more, depending on the trail you choose. It is conceivable that you could be stopped and turned back where the preserve meets the mountain house grounds; I've only been questioned at those points when hiking with a dog. There is a Picnic Lodge, only open in season, where you can buy a good lunch - no one has ever asked if I'm a guest at the house before selling me the food there. So, if you have no qualms about sneaking in, go ahead and hike up to the house. There are a couple of small stores, including a gift shop with a snack bar. Also, public rooms where events are held are often open and worth seeing. Sitting on the porches overlooking the lake is wonderful, and was the setting for a scene in the movie Dirty Dancing. Hike up to the tower, you can see for miles and miles.... Enjoy! Here's the website for the preserve: http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

I was just wondering the same thing, thanks for the post. We're planning a day trip there bf summer ends. I want to know if anyone knows if you have to show ID to enter the house. I'm not going to "hang around" in there, just take a quick walk-through to see if we may ever stay and just get a quick glimpse, etc. Can you walk in the front or go in any side doors, any suggestions? I did see on their site that you can go to the Picnic food area to purchase food, I think its called, on a day or hiker pass. I'm bringing my nephew and his GF and also want to know which areas are best to hike to, not too far. Thanks all.

NJ
Level Contributor
32 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

If you buy just a daily pass without the food, you can still get inside the house. There are many entrances and nobody standing and checking passes/ID. However, you have to bring your lunch with you. From what I have seen on the propety ( inside the house) there is no place to buy food since it's includng with the overnight rate or you have to make a reservation in advance if you coming for the meal.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
185 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

Question for annie2593 or others - There's a great photo on www.mohonk.com of the Mohonk Mountain House situated above the lake. Can anyone tell me from what vantage point I could get the same view? Is it from within the grounds of the Monhonk Mountain House itself? Or from the Mohonk Preserve?

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

We did go. It was absolutely GORGEOUS, OMG, just beautiful, it was a gorgeous day. You CAN get food there, there is a quaint Picnic Lodge for the day trippers to use, they have sandwiches, salads, burgers, pizza, etc. You also can pay for lunch, dinner or breakfast if they have availability and its not taken up by their overnight guests, the lunch and dinner is expensive, and then you are allowed access to the property AND inside the lodge. BUT it was a busy weekend and they were full, we were trying to aim for breakfast which was $36 or so a piece, the daytrip is $22 so it would have really been worth it, but they were booked solid for their overnight guests so we couldn't do the breakfast. My DH, myself and my nephew and his GF went. You can rent boats or I believe also horses if you're a daytripper. We did go into the Lodge briefly as I really wanted to see it. You're identified as a daytripper by the green wrist bands they give you, so if u want to go inside hopefully they won't see them, ow no one will ask. I think if they saw them they would have stopped us. Anyone that wants to try this place really should, its like nowhere else, really spectacular. I suggest going early and trying to get the breakfast, but if they're full you probably won't get in. The daytrip was great tho and you still have access to the Picnic Lodge.

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

PS. The beautiful view they show is from SkyTop Tower which is a trail you can get to from the grounds, probably their most popular trail. There are signs everywhere to access. You can see 6 states. Its absolutely breaktaking, and they have lovely little viewing "huts" to take photos and view as you're walking up the trail, right along the water, and you can see the House as you climb, unless you're afraid of heights, its a very easy trail, takes about 20-30 minute walk. All ages were doing this trail. It was so gorgeous it looked surreal.

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

Typo, I meant it was absolutely breathtaking, not breaktaking, geez they need a way to edit, lol.

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

The trail leads to SkyTop Tower, and then you climb up the tower. The trail itself is incredible with the gorgeous views along the way until u reach the Tower.

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

One more thing tho, I think but am not sure, that the Picnic Lodge maybe seasonal only, so you might want to check into that if you're not bringing food with you or coming in for a meal. It is definitely open through the summer months.

10. Re: Seeking Day Pass Info for Mohonk Mountain House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 08, 2009