We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

I'm planning a weekend getaway with my husband for a couple of days and I can't seem to decide where we should stay. I thought maybe the Hamptons but it seems Montauk is pretty popular too. We're looking for a place cheaper than $150-175 a night. We're pretty laid back people but we'd like to stay somewhere with either the beach close by or a nice view and close to cool things to do. Somewhere relatively quiet at night. Any tips?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

The Hamptons. Consist of two towns, Southampton and east hampton.

Montauk is at eastern tip of east hampton town. If you are considering coming out during peak season aka may to sept. Your budget is highly unlikely to get you any thing where you seem to desire being. If you can be more specific maybe I'll have more to add.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

You are going to have an easier time with Montauk, but whatever you do..book NOW

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

I'm thinking we'll be going in September. Specifically the weekend after Labor Day weekend. Is that a good time to visit where their won't be masses of people?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

Perfect time, but you won't be lonely.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

That's a great time on the east end but I think you may struggle to find any place at that price. I think it becomes a question of what price you can find where. Even not so nice places generally charge more than that unless you can find a b & b somewhere that suits you. Have you found anything in your budget?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

Montauk gives a lot more options for accommodations. Great beach town, not too crazy. Just check that you're not very far from town, unless that's what you really want. Nice to be able to walk to everything.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

Try vrbo Montauk, for one bedroom.

8. Re: Montauk vs Hamptons vs ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2015