We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LIRR to Montauk

Which Montauk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
LIRR to Montauk

Hi,

My friend and I are planning to go Montauk for 2 days 1 night trip. We were googling for 2 days and still don't have firm infos about it.

We live in NY so we want to take LIRR, can someone guide us how to get there? Hotel isn't an issue only the transportation is so confusing.

Thank you.

Mechelle

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Not sure what's confusing you. The trains leave from Penn station at 7th ave. & 33 st. or there are some stops in Queens. Where in NYC do you live and what's confusing you? The timetable is here

mta.info/lirr/…MontaukBranch.pdf

One issue is the trains don't run very frequently to Montauk.

hamptonjitney.com

is another option, more expensive but much more frequent service.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Thanks, this is more clear than looking on MTA website

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Rent a car and drive out there. More scenic and you can stop along the way at the many villages on Montauk HWY. You won't be dissapointed. Just don't try to drive out there peak times (mid Saturday afternoon)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Avoid driving out Friday from early afternoon on if at all possible.

Snohomish...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Hi

Would like to venture out of NYC Sat Sept 8th & Sun 9th during our NYC trip and I think montauk would be nice. My question is this; is it still a busy time heading there in Sept and how long is the journey (thinking that a real New Yorker will know better that a timetable). My husband would not want to spend time getting someplace. Also I just want to experience something quaint and some of the places in connecticut look so charming. Is that an easier side trip? And which place there has a little town area close to a hotel to antique or just cool little shops? Thx in advance love NYC so much I want to retire there!

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LIRR to Montauk

if you're looking for a slow pace and trendy atmosphere you should definitely stay anywhere near East Hampton Village. Main Street is loaded with cool restaraunts and shops. There are also plenty of upscale shops within the village and even a movie theater where the Film Festival is held every year.

There are plenty of villages along the way on Montauk HWY between Water Mill and Amagansett with the Hampton Villages sandwiched in between. After that its a straight scenic shot out to Montauk. If you're going by car thats a way I'd go. If you're looking to just relax and wear flip flops and a t-shirt take a straight shot to Montauk via LIRR(end of the line) and be surrounded by beaches and a great village with shops and restaurants.Don't forget the Harbor and the Lighthouse!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Sept 8-9 is after our big bank holiday weekend of Labor Day which marks the official end of the summer vacation season. So while it's much less crowded, it's still busy and the weather can still be lovely and hotel/motelrices will still be high.

i dont understand your qusetion about the time for travel. The train schedules are reasonably accurate but the train is not very frequent.

Hamptonjitney.com

Is the more popular but more expensive option.

it's not a short trip to Montauk and Montauk is mostly about the beach. If what you're looking for is quaint charm, East Hampton or parts of Connecticut may be better options. The most charming part of Ct IMO is Litchfield County which is not serviced by a train. You'd have to drive. New Preston, CT is a great spot for quaint antique shops but its easiearto drive.

http://www.newprestonct.com/shopping.html

Snohomish...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LIRR to Montauk

Thx for all your suggestions, still need a tad bit more of your expert advice. Renting a car Sat b4 noon and returning Mon b4 noon I see we can't do both (Connecticut trip & the Montauk to East Hampton ride) so we have to pick one. Which will have more things to see? Or can we in that time allowance without it being hectic. thank you!

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LIRR to Montauk

With the short period of time...stay on the Island. You'll be better off roaming the villages and great wineries around Montauk Hwy. Then theres the great beaches. You will not have to worry about the bridges and tolls associated with the NY to CT traffic and vice versa! You'll appreciate the time spent pulling over and checking out what Montauk Hwy has to offer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LIRR to Montauk

I think you should look into accommodation pricing before deciding. Imo either Ct or the Hamptons will provide what you want. The Hamptons will be much more expensive to stay. If you want help finding a room, post back with nightly budget and what you like.