We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring like a local

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
105 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring like a local

If I wanted to see the best of the Adirondacks (with two kids), in late August, what would you recommend I see? Not necessarily the touristy things, but we'll probably do one or two touristy things.

Everything I read is about the scenic roadways, hiking and biking, and waterways...etc, but there's nothing to help me compare or help me decide what to do/see and which areas are worth the drive (staying near Lake George, but away from the town).

Which town are cute towns, with nooks and crannies?

Are there any "only-in -the-Adirondacks" types of things to do/see? There seems to be a lot on birding for example...is there a great place to do that? Where is the best place to see the local wildlife?

BTW, our kids are 2 and 4. We love to drive, bike, hike, we love wine and good restaurants (not fancy because of the kids), shopping, exploring towns, and experiencing the local flavor of where we visit. We especially love live music (famly-friendly type). We're not adventurers, but we also don't like to sit still.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring like a local

Because you're staying near Lake George you should repost your questions on the Lake George forum. You don't want to waste valuable time of many posters who start recommending things to do all over the park which covers 6 million acres. Lake Placid is a long drive from Lake George if you have to make a round trip with two small kids.

You should add how long is your stay and how far are you willing to drive for your day trips. There is a lots of wildlife in the Adirondacks but nowhere where you can have a viewing platform and guarantee to see wildlife in August. You have to be lucky to see various species. Furthermore, August is not really an ideal time for birding although there are areas where they stay during a summer. You should see water birds around the lakes but Lake George could be noisy and very busy so I suggest you look for smaller lakes and pounds. Saratoga Springs is a lovely place to visit and there is the national historic park. You can go to Ticonderoga if is not too far to drive with kids. You can go to horse races in Saratoga. Hiking trails are all over the Adirondacks but ask on the Lake George forum for recommendations on trails suitable for small kids. Have lots of fun with your family.

Edited: 4:12 pm, April 25, 2012
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
105 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring like a local

Thank you. I understand and appreciate your advice. I was hoping to find a thing or two to do in areas other than Lake George too. The only other location I have foind info on was Lake Placid and Alexandria Bay, so I thought I would try to see if any experts in those areas had advice. The place that I have found in Lake George is a probably, rather than a definite, only because I have had a hard time finding info about any other location. So perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it. Anyway, I appreciate the info, and certainly wasn't intending to waste time, just looking for info/ resource that seem to be hard to find. Kind regards,

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring like a local

Alex Bay is not in the Adirondacks; it is about 200 miles from Lake George on Lake Ontario in the Thousand Islands region.

A nice hike is the trail at the Ausable Lodge (near Lake Placid in Keene Valley). It is flat, follows Ausable Creek and passes many waterfalls.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring like a local

Your postings sound like you might be a better fit in the Adirondacks if you venture further north than Lake George. The High Peaks area (Keene, Keene Valley), Lake Placid, AuSable Chasm, Wilmington might be better for you. There's a gondola ride at Whiteface Mountain, and Santa's Workshop, which may be the first theme park in the US--both in Wilmington. There are Olympic venues to see in Lake Placid, and nice restaurants. The High Peaks area has hiking trails of varying levels. The AuSable Chasm is a beautiful river gorge with hiking paths and boat rides. In Tupper Lake, there's the Wild Center, a living natural history experience. Tupper Lake is 45 minutes to an hour from Lake Placid. Try whitefaceregion.com for an introduction to the area. Nearby is Lake Champlain--along its shores are several small villages worth exploring: Willsboro, Essex, Westport, Ticonderoga. Have fun planning and have a great trip, wherever you decide.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
105 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring like a local

Thank you for your response. This is great information and exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks again!!

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring like a local

Where are you staying? With such small kids less driving is better choice and Lake George is better choice because there is more to do for families with small children.

7. Re: Exploring like a local

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 19, 2013