We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

We are staying in Wilmington, NY (first time to the Adirondacks) and we will be there from May 26th thru June 2nd. Where can we buy farm fresh eggs, good wines & food? Are there any specialty markets, farms, etc. to buy fresh and possibly organic food from? Also, any good restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

In Lake Placid. There are two supermarkets, Hannaford (newer and clean) and Price Chopper. To shop in Hannaford you do not need a store discount card. To get some lower prices in PC you need to have a discount card you apply for it at the Customer Service desk. There are liquor stores in Lake Placid, one is located next to Hannaford. Wilmington has a nice small deli but with very limited grocery items. McDougall's is a nice place to eat. I wrote review of this place. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g48899-d5163…

I do NOT recommend eating at Steinhoff's. I wrote a review of this place as well. Lake Placid has many dining options. Please read reviews of restaurants in Wilmington and Lake placid. It all depends on you preferences, budget and what appeals to you based on reviews. BTW, Hannaford has a nice selection of organic items.

Edited: 10:59 am, March 24, 2012
Lake Placid, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

There is also a small natural foods store in Lake Placid called the Green Goddess on the corner of Newman Road and Sentinel Road with groceries and some entrees.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

Welcome to Wilmington! A good place for natural food, right in Wilmington on Haselton Road, is the River's Edge Emporium. The baked goods are great, and there is take-out as well (it's 2 or 3 building past the Methodist Church). Whitefaceregion.com is the local visitors bureau. Check it out; their office is near the bridge on Rte. 86. Terry Robard's wine shop is in the plaza in front of Hannaford's in Lake Placid. It's a new location for this shop. He is the former wine critic for the NY Times, so the selections and knowledge abound there!

My favorite restaurant in Lake Placid is the Interlaken, around the corner from the Mirror Lake Inn; you can Google Interlaken restaurant, Lake Placid, NY for more info. My sister owns a motel in Wilmington, maybe you're staying there! Enjoy no matter where you stay.

Edited: 11:12 am, April 09, 2012
Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

PS: It's too early for farmers' markets in the area.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

Crispy05 - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! We actually rented a house close to the Adirondack Wildlife Refuge (which we are really looking forward to visiting). I will definately check out the wine shop. Thanks for the great info.!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

I really appreciate everyone's input....thank you.

Lake Placid, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

Green Goddess Foods in Lake Placid has a variety of local and organic products including eggs from 2 local farms. They also have a self serve deli with organic, vegetarian and gluten free options as well as a Friday hot entree buffet from 11am to 3pm. From there they can recommend some great restaurants.

greengoddessfoods.com or Facebook or 518 523 4676

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

I actually found a place to buy farm fresh eggs, cheese, meats, etc.....for anyone who might be interested. They are only open to the public on Thurs. & Sat. They provide goods to Green Goddess Foods. It is Asgaard Farm & Dairy.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

Duh--I don't know why Asgaard slipped my mind! Friends of ours--Wendy and Steve Hall--run the Wildlife Refuge. You'll enjoy it.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Adirondacks in May - Food question

We are actually staying in a home that is managed by Wendy and Steve and we are really looking forward to visiting the Refuge! I have read a lot about what they do can't wait to meet them.