We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Peaks and North Pole questions

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
High Peaks and North Pole questions

Spending a weekend at the High Peaks Dec 16, sounds like there are shops and restaurants within walking distance, is that right? We have one comp dinner at the hotel's restaurant, are there any other restaurant recommendations in the area?

The hamlet of North Pole is approx 12 miles from Lake Placid, is it worth a visit for 2 kids in their fifties?

Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Peaks and North Pole questions

Yes, to your first question.

What do you mean kids in their fifties? Are you one of them? Then no, I definitely would not recommend for older tourists without small children to visit Santa’s Workshop in Wilmington. http://www.northpoleny.com/Attractions.html

It is a great fun for small kids but for older people there are many more appealing things to do in the area.

As to restaurants it all depends on your preferences and budget but check the link below and decide tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g48023-Lake_Plac…

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Peaks and North Pole questions

Thanks I read the reviews, just thought some feedback from recent visitors to the area would be nice but not an active forum here I see.

Yes, kids in their fifties means young at heart.

Thanks!

Edited: 11:20 am, November 27, 2011
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Peaks and North Pole questions

I never saw any older people without children visiting Santa's Workshop. It ain't Disney World. As to restaurant it is impossible to make recommendations if you won't let posters know what are your preferences and budget. If you read restaurant reviews you can get an idea what are recommended eating places. No active forum here? Well, Lake Placid is not Cancun with millions of tourists.

Edited: 10:42 pm, November 27, 2011
ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
110 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Peaks and North Pole questions

Restauarants I suggest( just a few of many)

Caffe Rustica- Lunch or Dinner** always good

Brown Dog- Dinner

Ashley's - Breakfast

Chair 6 - Breakfast Lunch or Dinner

Saranac Sourdough- Breakfast or Dinner

Lake Placid Pub and Brewery- Pub fair. lunch or dinner

Lisa G's lunch or dinner (casual)

Lots of good comments on Liquids and Solids- we were very disappointed.

North Pole-never been but what I read it's a very modest place.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Peaks and North Pole questions

Thanks norman!

6. Re: High Peaks and North Pole questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 29, 2012