We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whiteface Mountain

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Whiteface Mountain

I arrive in Lake Placid this Friday ( October 21 ). It's my understanding that the highway up the mountain closes to cars this week before we arrive. Can you still access that road by foot and hike to the top? We only have one full day in LP and we would like to get up Whiteface as quickly as possible.

Mirror Lake
Bodies of Water
Olympic Ski Jump Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes, Lookouts
Bobsled and Luge Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes
Lake Placid
Bodies of Water
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whiteface Mountain

The toll road to the top of the mountain is already closed. We used to go for walks after the road closed for a season and before snow arrived. Maybe rues changed now so you should contact Whiteface directly 518-946-2223 or ski@whiteface.com

There are more interesting way to get to the top than walking 5 miles on the pavement. If you want a real hike there are real hiking trails. If you have only one day you might want to check out a number of other great scenic trails.

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whiteface Mountain

Thank you for your advice. We hope to try out a couple of shorter hikes. Hopefully we can get back during high season to get up Whiteface.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whiteface Mountain

pvguy, I'm not sure if you're still checking this post but yes, you can walk to the top. It suppose to be a nice weekend but it is raining right now. There was some snow on the top of Whiteface but is melting. We took a short walk on the road yesterday but there were several bikers we had to watch out for. Leaves in higher elevations are all gone. Maybe we'll see you along some trails this weekend. Enjoy your visit.

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whiteface Mountain

I'm still here. Thank you for the tips. We are going to try a few shorter hikes. Baxter mountain looked decent, Henry woods and some others I have written down at home. Staying at the haus and we hope to enjoy a nice restaurant in town. Can't wait to get there many friends have recommended LP to me as a relaxing destination.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whiteface Mountain

Baxter Mountain is a short hike with grand views. Trailhead is from 9N. Park off the road (across from Hurricane Mt. Rd.). No parking dedicated for this trailhead. Another great easy short hike with steep but short sections is Owl's Head accessible by a short drive on a dirt road from route 73. Views are really breathtaking from extensive outcropping. Look for Owls’ Head brown street sign on the right if you’re travelling from Lake Placid toward Keene. It is easy to miss the trailhead (on the left side) but there are usually cars parked on weekends. There are a couple more of Owl's Heads in the Adirondacks but this one is accessible from route 73 between Keene and Cascade Lake. One more suggestion for a short hike with breathtaking views is Silver Lake Mountain. You would need to drive through Wilmington, continue straight on Bonnieview View Rd to the end and then turn left to Silver Lake Rd. The trailhead is on the right. There are some eroded steep sections but views are magnificent especially on a clear day. Henry Woods is a nice 2½ mile walk but I would leave this walk for a day when is wet outside or snow on the ground and other trails are not easily accessible.

It just stopped raining, the sun is out and it looks beautiful. It is time to go for a hike. Maybe to Silver Lake Mountain.

6. Re: Whiteface Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 27, 2012