We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the lake placid region always snow?

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Does the lake placid region always snow?

We will be coming in the beginning of February. I have been checking weather.com, for the past 2 weeks, it seems that it had been snowing 80% of the time. Is it normal?

thanks

Edited: 11:42 pm, January 13, 2011
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

February is still winter in the Adirondacks and Lake Placid is in the Adirondacks. I think you know the answer. Truly I'm not sure what you're asking about. Snowing non-stop, snow on a ground, what? Sure it is going to snow, nobody at this point know when, how long and how much. I don't know where you get your statistic but I think you should relax and enjoy winter when you get to Lake Placid. When is snowing gently and all day it covers all trees, there is a fresh powder to ski on, you can snowshoe. It is very beautiful outside. This is the most enjoyable time to be in the Adirondacks. When is snow storm, whiteout then it is a completely different story. Stop obsessing about it.

Edited: 8:23 am, January 15, 2011
Mentioned in this post
sugarloaf
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

hi my family is hoping for a winter vacation in lake placid in late December 2011 and are hoping for some real snow we've been geting very little in north east pa were looking to horse back ride snowmowbile shop bob sled and spa please tell us about these things

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

The on and off snow is what makes Lake Placid so great. You can't predict the weather up there and we love it. Was 4 degrees on 12/27 this past year and 55 degrees on 12/30.....Crazy. It always goes back down to the lows quickly.

We have been up in December and historically the middle of December is when Lake Placid always gets a really nice snow storm to kick off the holiday season. December can go either way regarding the snow for outdoor activities. At that time 25-50% of Whiteface will be open.

Mentioned in this post
NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

Hi, not that I am obsessing about it. LOL...

I have never been to the Lake Placid area and I am on a tight schedule hoping not to have my daughter not to miss too many days of school (otherwise I would have taken a train).

I got the statistic from weather.com, it shows snow around 80% of the time in the last 30 days, but then NJ also snows quite a bit, on the other hand, most of the time in the last 30 days, it wasn't a difficult drive in NJ during the day, hence I am not sure how I should interpretate the "light snow", "Few snow showers" on weather.com...

Mentioned in this post
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

The drive from NJ to Lake Placid is predominantly on major highway, so unless it is a heavy snow, the driving isn't bad. The last 40 minutes or so, though, are on smaller roads making their way through the mountains. During a snowy day, these roads can be slow going because (1) they are more difficult to drive in the snow and (2) you are more likely to get caught behind a slow-going plow or salt truck.

That said, it does snow a lot in the Adirondacks and the villages and drivers are equipped to handle the snow, so for the most part life goes on as usual. If I were you I would assume there will be snow, and to plan an extra hour of travel time on either end of your trip, just in case. And bring your boots -- Lake Placid is a great place to walk around!

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

We live in Ottawa, Canada and ski at Lake Placid. We make the drive regularly (every other week or so) in the winter. Less than 50% of the time we have some snow to deal with on the drive.

They really do a great job of taking care of the roads IMHO.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Lake Placid
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

It snows a bit on many days. However, because this is the mountains and it does snow a lot, snow removal and salting/sanding is topnotch, so rarely is driving dangerous. As always you need to use caution and common sense, but we move around pretty easily - even with the 20" we got the other day, it wasn't that bad and I can say this because I used to live in NJ! LOL!

8. Re: Does the lake placid region always snow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 06, 2012