We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

Level Contributor
653 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

Is it worth to drive from Lake George end of July? What is there to do with young kids ?

Level Contributor
110 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

Lake George is much more built up than Lake Placid, much more to do for kids in LG tan LP, with all the amusement parks and a honky tonk feel to the village. I would recommend a nearby day trip to Saratoga Springs( 40 minutes max) probably one of the prettiest small cities in America, and Canada for that matter too!

However for the real Adirondack ambience it's Lake Placid, perhaps better for a couples experience. It's about one hour and forty minutes from LG.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

Recommendations f or aweekend in Lake Placid? I am staying at the Spruce Band B and want to do some simple hiking with mmy husband, shopping, site seeing

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

There's hiking all around the area and then there's Santa's Workshop in Wilmington (about 10 miles away from LP), which also has gondola rides up Whiteface Mt.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

You can also ice skate at the Olympic Ice rinks, go for a walk at High Falls Gorge, and take the elevator up to the top of the Olypic Ski jumps.

Newtown, CT
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

I was in LP this past summer with my daughter (10 yrs old) and she LOVED it. We went to the jumping complex, took a bobsled ride, went the ice rinks and saw team USA women scrimmage against a local men's team (hockey), shopped up and down Main St., went paddle boating on Mirror Lake, took gondola up Whiteface. She loved the trip so much, she wants to go back this year.

6. Re: Lake Placid day trip from Lake George ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, March 05, 2012