We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August vacation Help!

south jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
August vacation Help!

I am overwhemled! I never knew there were 6 million acres in upstate NY. We are a family of four 2 kids (6&8) that want to vaction for a week in August.

Any help on where we should make home base would help. We are not campers, but also can't afford $600 plus a night! We would be willing to do a rental also.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: August vacation Help!

I'm still thinking Wilmington is your best bet!!! I forgot to mention that there is canoeing near the Town Beach, and an A&W root beer restaurant. (See my earlier post for the visitors' bureau website) We'd love to have you visit our town!

12. Re: August vacation Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, May 08, 2010
ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: August vacation Help!

Since you have not visited the Adirondacks before, in my opinion, Lake Placid should be your home base. With all due respect to both Saranac Lake and Wilmington, (we have been to both), LP has it all. It's the perfect location not to mention the beauty! We understand totally of trying to find something nice but not too pricey. Start checking out this site for reviews of motels in the area. I'm sure you can find something clean/nice for a reasonable price. Also go to adkbyowner.com to search for rentals. There still may be time to book something for August. The last time I checked, Lake Placid had many opportunities for cabins, cottages, & condos. Some are very pricey depending on location, on the water, etc., but you should be able to find something. If you rent you can save money on food as you can fix some of your meals yourself. Good luck.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: August vacation Help!

If you want a true Adirondack experience, Lake Placid is the LAST place you should stay. You should definitely go for Saranac Lake, Wilmington or any other town except Lake Placid with Lake in its name.

Enjoy!

New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: August vacation Help!

Regarding the difference between Lake Placid, Wilmington, and SL, I think it all depends on how much action you want while away. LP certainly has the most stores, restaurants, and PEOPLE, but I think if you want the true Adk experience, Wilmington would be your best bet. You will less crowds, closer to hiking, fishing,etc. and it is also less expensive, with not only a few hotels, but quite a few homes which you can rent. LP is only about a 10 minute drive, so you can do both. Good luck in your search...

Adirondacks, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: August vacation Help!

Bottom Line - You'll pay to stay in LP and if you're not much into shopping or spa-ing you won't have much to show for it.

Saranac Lake is definitely quieter than LP as is Wilmington. Both or centrally located to lot's of outdoor stuff. If you're interested in being on the water, you can likely find a weekly rental in Saranac Lake, Saranac Inn or Lake Clear that will suit you for a fraction of the cost of LP.

I love the scenic flights out of Lake Placid Airport - that's an outdoor experience your kids would never forget. From SL you can also rent boats and rods and you have access to the whole Saranac Lake chain. I love just drifting...

The Wild Center is great, but a little pricey for what it is. I'd recommend the VIC - Visitor's Interpretive Center (If the state keeps it open) if the weather is nice. The Wild Center can be a backup if the weather isn't cooperating.

17. Re: August vacation Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 20, 2010