We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Peaks or Golden Arrow

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
High Peaks or Golden Arrow

My family (me, husband, 2 teenage daughters) is going to Lake Placid for the first time in March on a ski holiday and I am trying to decide between the High Peaks Resort and the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort. For a 4-night stay, High Peaks is about $200 cheaper for a renovated room with a fancy new bathroom than a fireplace room at Golden Arrow. Anybody stayed at both or either resort and have any advice? Is one or the other better for teens? Thanks.

Olympic Ski Jump Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes, Lookouts
Bobsled and Luge Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes
Lake Placid Olympic Museum
Sports Complexes, Specialty Museums
ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
110 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Peaks or Golden Arrow

I stayed at The high Peaks this summer and it's beautiful. The former Hilton has put lots of money in renovations and upgrading facilites..The Golden Arrow in my mind is one step below High Peaks, when we were there a few years ago the rooms were dated, maybe that has changed.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Peaks or Golden Arrow

I agree with Norman18 - escpecially if the High Peaks is less expensive than the Golden Arrow I would definitely stay there! We were there last December and really enjoyed our stay, so much so that we stayed a couple of extra nights.

The beds are super comfy and the rooms are fairly spacious. The staff are all very friendly and the food is good, they have some great specials.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Peaks or Golden Arrow

Thanks to both of you for the recommendation - we are going with High Peaks. It looks beautiful, and I can use the $200 difference for better things like eating and skiing. I think it's hilarious that 3 of us from Ottawa are discussing Lake Placid!

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
110 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Peaks or Golden Arrow

We are hooked on Lake Placid, not to miss is Chair 6 a great spot for real Adirondack breakfasts and lunches, for dinner we like Cafe Rustica which is owned by a very congenial ex-Quebec woman. Lake Placid Pub and Brewey across fron the village beach for great micro-beers and good food too. Lisa G's another good place.

I

Depending on where you live in Ottawa, if you live in the west -end it may be preferable to cross at Ogdensburg, through Canton, Coulton, Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake and into Lake Placid. It's a bit under three hours. Never anyone at the border.

Oh yeah, a few good outlet shops too!

Edited: 11:38 am, February 11, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Peaks or Golden Arrow

Hi Norman18 - thanks for the restaurant tips. They were on my 'short' list of places to eat (which isn't very short) based on reviews here. Now they go to the top. We actually live in Wakefield and lots of people here go to Lake Placid to ski. They suggested going through Cornwall, but google tells me it's about the same time as your route. I'll let my husband know - he's the map guy.

6. Re: High Peaks or Golden Arrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 12, 2010