We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report/June 22-24

Level Contributor
134 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report/June 22-24

We just returned from a wonderful weekend in Lake Placid. This was our first time there and we were very happy we went.

Our accommodations were booked at the Placid Bay Inn after reading the good reviews on this site, and we were not disappointed. Thanks to those who posted them!

We arrived late on Friday evening and Denise, (innkeeper), recommended The Cottage for a lite bite. WOW-we LOVED The Cottage! Great atmosphere with views of the water, and great food. We were really wanting to hit this place again before the weekend was over, but ran out of time. Next trip!

Saturday my husband had gone walking and found the Saranac Sourdough, which he recommended we give a try for breakfast. It's a few doors down and across the street from the inn. What a wonderful little place with lots of old fashioned charm. Breakfast was made to order with your choice of the many homemade breads. A few of us ordered pancakes, while the others ordered a couple of their specials. All of us raved about the food, and the place itself. Coffee is help yourself, and delicious. What a great way to start off the day! (Thanks my love!)

We then decided to take the drive up Whiteface Mountain. This is $9.00 per car and driver, and $5 for each additional passenger. We really enjoyed the views, and once at the top, you have your choice of taking the elevator to the peak, or the stone walkway. Dress warmly, because the temps can be dramatically different up there. Really nice!

From there we headed to the High Gorge Falls and bought tickets to walk through. Our group agreed it was well worth it. We were able to take some great pictures and it is absolutely beautiful through there. Don't miss it!

Now we were getting a bit hungry and luckily stumbled across the Players Sports Bar. Our table had great views right on the water. The guys ordered burgers and we tried their quesadilla's along with several refreshing cold beverages. Very nice spot with good food and we would go back there again.

We enjoyed some relaxing time in the backyard of the inn looking out at the water and watching the ducks, then rested up for dinner at the Caribbean Cowboy. This is also a short walk from the inn, so the location was really convenient for walking everywhere.

The Caribbean Cowboy has a very interesting menu, so it makes choosing hard. The sweet potato fries were recommended by another guest at the inn, and we're so glad-(thank you Mary Lee) Then for our entrees we tried a couple of their salads. The Spicy Roast Chicken Salad and a Shrimp Salad. All of us commented that we had not had a better salad anywhere. VERY good, and we'll make sure this is visited on our return trip too. (Denise-thank you for the recommendation)

Afterwards we walked to town and stopped at Charlie's to have a drink on their deck. The deck was in the process of closing, but the owner/mgr was kind enough to help with lighting a heater so we could grab a drink at the bar and sit outside. This was just a taste of how nice the people are there, and the service was great for our entire stay.

Sunday we wanted to have a good breakfast before getting on the road, so back at the Saranac Sourdough. My husband and I tried an egg sandwich this time on your choice of homemade bread, and it was delicious. What a great find!

Afterwards we headed for the scenic boat tour of Lake Placid on the Doris II. This tour takes only an hour but we really enjoyed it.

All in all, Lake Placid is a really nice place to visit with beautiful surroundings, friendly people, wonderful restaurants, and great service. We'll be back someday!

Olympic Ski Jump Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes, Lookouts
Bobsled and Luge Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes
Lake Placid Olympic Museum
Sports Complexes, Specialty Museums
South Carolina
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report/June 22-24

I just read your post and it was so informative for someone planning to go to Lake Placid for the first time. We are flying to Burlington, VT, driving to Montreal for a couple of days, and then driving to Lake Placid for a couple of days and I have had trouble finding what to see and do there. We are staying at the Mirror Lake Inn so we will be sure to check out The Cottage for a meal. Your other suggestions sound good, too. Thanks.

Capital Region
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report/June 22-24

Lake Placid is a gem in the mountains - any time of year! I've been visiting for 30 years. Take a short 15 minute ride ouside of LP and treat yourself to a true Adirondack meal at the Wilderness Inn II - warm, friendly and the steak sandwich with "secret" sauce is as world class as it gets! Back to LP and another treat - the Palace Theater - go to the movies like you used to. And if the movie you are looking for is not on the main level, peek inside for a look at movie theater history. Across the street at Jimmy's, you'll find the best bartenders, fabulous pasta and Mirror Lake unobstructed views. Take the Lake Placid-Saranac Train ride to slow down the pace of today's lightspeed life. And for unique gifts, clothing and the best retail staff anywhere, step into "Two Hearts" on Main Street. Once you visit Lake Placid, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner : )

South Carolina
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report/June 22-24

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! We are really looking forward to our trip. It sounds like our kind of place.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report/June 22-24

It is so easy to miss any post under the New York forum as they disappear very quickly among so many on NYC but I finally read your wonderful report. Thank you for posting. So now it is $9.00 to drive to the top of Whiteface? We just hike there and sometimes get a ride down with friendly visitors who feel sorry for us arriving tired and sweaty on the top. It is a long hike up. Views on clear day are spectacular and worthy, IMO, a price of admission.

Sugargirl, Roadtraveler gave you some great information, also check out www.orda.org for more ideas and on arrival go to the visitor center located at the Olympic center. As to Wilderness II it is located in Wilmington and the food, services are usually extremely disappointing so most of us, locals, stopped supporting this place. I guess, the previous poster was very lucky. For the best dining ( and very expensive) experience I always highly recommend Interlaken Inn in Lake Placid. On the way to Lake Placid as you leave Wilmington Hungry Trout has always excellent trout. Mirror Lake Inn has very good food too.

5. Re: Trip Report/June 22-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, September 06, 2009