We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

I had heard from someone on the Thorn Tree Forum the following:

Caprivi had terrible floods a few weeks ago during April. All the Game Reserves in the Caprivi does not have fixed accommodation except for one on the banks of the Kwando River (forgot its name). If you want to bore the kids, go to the Caprivi!

Would some of you who have been to Caprivi post floods, or have some knowledge of the area, please respond and let me know if you think we'll be able to go at the end of December/early January? I really had my heart set on visiting this region. I'm not sure why this person thinks it'll "bore" my children. Everything I read about it sounds beautiful. However, I'm not up-to-date with the flood problems and lodge situation.

Thank you.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,809 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

Letsplay. I find this extraordinary. I know of several Lodges set well back from the rivers (Okavango and Kwando) and doubt they were swept away if indeed any were.

The ground maybe a bit soggy in parts for a time.

Why not email your agent in WDK for up to date news?

As for kids being bored in Caprivi. I would have thought that either scenario, disaster or tranquility, would have the kids on top alert.

You are right, it is a beautiful region and well worth the drive up there.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,809 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

I see from yur other post today that you are in contact with Expert in UK and CBox in WDK. a quick Email to Kirsty at the letter would answer your query. If "Expert" really are, then they will also know.

Deal, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

Not sure on the accuracy of this and I've looked at the Lonely planet thread also.

For the record NgepiCamp's website states that they are back up and open for business as usual after 10 days, so I can't imagine December will be a problem unless the rains hit them again. It better all be back in order as I'm on the verge of booking 3 nights in October if I can ever get the Fax to send!

Namibia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

The floods come every year around march as this is when the 4 month old water reaches us from Angola - this year was a 60 year high and we closed for 15 days for the first time ever. After that open as normal...doubt the kids will be bored at Ngepi camp..?

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

Do not worry, Dec/Jan is just the beginning of the rainy season. March/April is when flooding, if it is going to occur, will happen.

A few lodges, N'gepi, N'kwazi and Namushasha to name a few suffered quite badly this year, but all were up and running again fairly swiftly.

Bad flooding doesn't happen every year either, this year was particularly bad due to heavy rains.

I cannot imagine anyone being bored in the Caprivi regardless of the weather conditions, it is a fabulous place to be and one of my personal favorite places, so I wouldn't let the report you read put you off visiting.

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

Thanks everyone. Back on the thread after a few weeks off. We're definitely heading to Caprivi and looking forward to every minute of our 22 day trip in Namibia this December!

7. Re: Caprivi in December--will the lodges be open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 03, 2010