We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers getting mixed messages

Which Serekunda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
First timers getting mixed messages

Hi, we are 4 ladies from the North of England. Pretty well travelled, but never to The Gambia.

So, on reading lots of reviews and forum posts, we have booked to stay at the Karaiba for 1 week next April. Our mission is to have a relaxing holiday, eat and drink well, meet up with people and hopefully distribute some stuff we are buying / fundraising for to a local charity or school.

Whilst it's understandable that there are debates, and some banter on the forums we would like to hear people's views and opinions on whether or not it is beneficial to meet up with Trip advisor contributors / experts and people who have retired to The Gambia.

Why did one poster say that he is glad to hear where you hold meetings, so that he can stay away? For us, it could only be good to meet up and chat? We are only staying for a week, and I would imagine, need all the advice we could get!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First timers getting mixed messages

Get a claim in granny gud job we weren't picking u up anywhere, we're in croatia in the rain. :((

Mold, Wales
Level Contributor
229 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: First timers getting mixed messages

Re: Granny - that was my view too (Phoenix Bar on Jon's birthday evening in April).

It's also worth pointing out in the context of this thread that Jon was very welcoming that night. He stood a round of drinks for the whole bar for his birthday and shared his very nice birthday cake around the room.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: First timers getting mixed messages

Karaiba hotel is fantastic,enjoy.:-)

uk
2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: First timers getting mixed messages

Hi I'm an older bloke of 68 who still thinks he is 37 and attractive to ladies lol, and I have to tell all of you that I returned on 1st April after two of the happiest weeks of my life. I had met Gambians in England , guys working as security guards in shops and they were very good natured, and as I attend church in Bristol I have lots of black brothers and sisters.

So within about an hour of arriving at my hotel I was out and about and chatting ( I like chatting with locals) to two ladies selling oranges, well blow me down if one didn't ask me to marry her pretty sister!

Within a week I had I think five proposals and they were all smashing "Home girls" the name given to young ladies like your own daughters. And walking along with them or eating I did not feel out of place as apparently it is normal to have a big age difference between the sexes, I felt very relaxed, and behaved myself because they were lovely ladies.

Food prices varied from local eaters who paid as little as D75 for chicken ,chips and a little salad up ward, soft drinks around D30 and all waiting staff so friendly and on a low wage, so they really appreciate being tipped.

Taxi rides I used the local yellow cabs and you either say " town trip" ie just you in the cab and arrange the price first at between cheapest D50 for a short trip up to say D300 for about 6 miles. Or like me say " Fay Pass" give the driver D8 and it is a stop start journey picking up and dropping fares as you go, the same as on the battered mini buses at D8, but I don't know how far you can go, I will discover that when I hopefully go back for a minimum of two months in October, providing I can find a dirt cheap appartment with a sit down loo. My first bus ride I gave D10 received D2 and plonked that in the hand of the student girl sitting beside me, well they all chattered away in Mandinka then started giving her D2 coins, so when she alighted she had her fare home, first time I have ever been a trend setter lol.

Unarmed soldiers are everywhere, towns and beaches alike, I chatted with them all the time,thanking them so much for keeping us all safe, and they appreciated the compliment.

This country is the lovely face of Islam, for all others to copy.

Yes you will get people approaching you begging a bit, well just have a pocket full of 5 and 10 D, shelling it out helps them and makes you feel good. They can buy a meal for D30 and soft drink for D15, I know I did it for one hungry looking guy.

Just relax, take sterling with you to get a good rate and enjoy these wonderful people, beaches etc are marvellous, and this comes from a west country man.

I went over with a lady friend from Jive dancing, she is married to a local young taxi owner, she also is very charitable helping a nursery / primary school and hospital in Sukuta. I went back to her and his compound and met the extended family, lovely lovely people, the kids all had ambitions, little 12 year old M wanted to be a banker as did her 9 year old brother L. Another 13 year old girl wanted to be a secretary , she knows the PC and keyboard whilst elegant J aged 16 told me with an intense look that she wants to be a nurse so she can help sick people. How cannot you /me fall in love with such people.

Dear reader The Gambia is a heart stealer, be prepared, oh and one last thing, if you want to take .someone back to your hotel room, you may be charged about £12 extra, a bit bizzare but there you are.

25. Re: First timers getting mixed messages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Serekunda