We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

Hi, apologies if this is a repeat question as I can't seem to find an up to date topic.

My OH and I have returned from Goa and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so wanted to broaden our horizons? We have been informed by the travel agent tha Gambia is amazing, so after research, I turn to the bible of holidays!

Can you tell me how safe it is to travel around? Are they complex where you're confined to certain areas or are free to wander and explore? Can you recommend the best hotels, areas etc for 2 30 something's that want to see things alongside a nice relaxing holiday. Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Rochdale, UK
Level Contributor
353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

You are free to explore. After a few years visiting The Gambia we tried Jamaica and couldn't believe we couldn't walk out of hotel and walk as far as we wanted down beach. Gates and guards.

In Gambia you can walk as far as legs will carry you

Edited: 2:39 pm, January 19, 2014
Wellingborough...
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

We to have done go a twice. It's just the same i go on my own every where without any worry but i do have a taxi driver or a friendly gambian with me. Just be careful with your bags and watch how you flash the cash. I think you will love it if you liked goa

Edited: 4:05 pm, January 19, 2014
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

Hi Tell it like it is. - Like several here I'm a Goa -goer who's now going to TG. Yes you can wander pretty much where you like, taking the same simple precautions you would as anywhere else.

As regards where to stay well there are 3 main resort areas -

Kololi ( a,k,a "the Senegambia strip) the busiest resort - it has around 25 to 30 bars/restaurants and a couple of "nightclubs"

Kotu - quieter than Kololi but still has enough bars/restaurants and about a 15 min taxi ride to Kolilo

Cape point - Quieter still

then there are other resort areas such as Sanyang and Brufut

Regarding trips take a look here as I posted some info there:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…55264253

I did the 4-in-1 with arch Tours and had a really good day out but that's not to say the other tour companies aren't just as good. I didn't find the bumsters to be much of a problem, but I do know others have. Forewarned is forearmed - maybe that worked for me. If you can handle Goa you will find Gambia a breeze, particularly the airport which is far more flyer-friendly.

Other differences you will find between Gambia and Goa are on the beaches. There are nowhere near the number of beach sellers either that you will have been used to and there are nowhere near as many beach shacks as in Goa, and there long empty sections of beach between them but with lower tourist numbers there's usually enough beds to go around...... more like this

http://flic.kr/p/j3cH9P

than like this

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10691358

Edited: 5:49 pm, January 19, 2014
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

We're here in Brufut right now as we start our second week, bumster encounters so far are virtually non existent. we've had plenty of chats with locals genuinely being friendly and had some fabulous local taxi drivers for our short getting around trips. The top of the strip remains a bloody nuisance running the gauntlet later on at night but we're used to it, come to Gambia and enjoy Trev's advice above is spot on.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

Thank you for your replies, they've been really helpful. Thanks Trev for the detail. It's nice to know from someone who's experienced it rather than a travel agent who's in for the hard sale! We befriended taxi drivers in Goa, it made it more fun to see it through their eyes. We hated Baga and Calangute as it was crazy!! We wanted a beach holiday with the option of going on safari. So Gambia was suggested for November. In comparison to Goa, can you buy items of clothing and leather goods? What is the dress code? Would I need to cover up any more than I would in Goa?

Accrington, Lancs
Level Contributor
346 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

European dress is perfectly acceptable, swimwear should be confined to beach and/or pool, topless ok in some places, look around and follow fellow sun lovers. Shorts, t shirts etc all acceptable for men and women. I tend to wear knee length shorts to go out at night and go heavy on the deet spray, doesn't smell great but keeps me (mostly) free of bites......and most people smell the same anyway lol.

Have a great holiday!

Diazcat x

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

Here's a vid clip of the strip, it's busier at night of course and particularly around Xmas/New Year... but even then it doesn't get near "Baga/Calangute crazy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuNV08LYPE

You will find a few shops/stalls selling clothes/carvings/trinkets but you won't find the jewellers or leather boutiques as in Goa.

You might need to cover up a bit in the evenings as it is cooler than Goa, but much less humid too - I've never needed AirCon in The Gambia.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

Thank you! Seems like Goa but African! Will look into more comparisons and let you know what we do. (Dependant on pricing.)

9. Re: Can we wander round or are we confined to certain areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 25, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Serekunda
Recent Conversations