We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety on beach

Bedford
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safety on beach

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully, I can offer help in return at some point on TA. We travel frequently and have been to many destinations short and long-haul. Maldives is our favourite, we,ve been to about 20 islands and closely followed by Cuba for the people and oh the heavenly music. January, we,re off to Costa Rica for an adventure.

Anyway,lets hope we fall in love with Gambia. We like to walk for miles on the beach and I wanted to ask if this is possible from the Kairaba and is it safe to do this? Should we expect to get hasseled non-stop on the beach or is it better when further from the hotels etc.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safety on beach

wALK in any direction on the beach north or south although i prefare south ,you can walk for hours ,and you should not get hassle if what they say about clearing out the bumsters is true even if not just say NO Thanks then ignoor them they are harmless,take some water with you it gets HOT,ENJOY<

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety on beach

Hi Shebedford

We have something in common as we walk for miles, if you take a left out of Kairaba beach side you can walk for miles, often you don't see a soul or you might see the odd opportunist but if you are confident and walk tall they will leave you alone, your certainly not pestered all the time!! A word of caution as it is a long walk, so it is wise to take a drink of water with you but there are beach bars along the way so you can stop off for a drink!!

I have never ever felt uneasy walking anywhere in The Gambia!!

Every time we visit we do this walk and I must admit we have not seen very many people either locals of tourists, it is peaceful and it's bliss, you can walk to the local fishing village although I will say be warned it may take several hours, but believe me it's well worth it.

Visit this place and have a look around the smoking houses it great fun, if you do like walking just like us then you will enjoy it and have fun, But I must admit we have been foolhardy and we walked there and back took about 6 or more hours!!

Breeze

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
804 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety on beach

After great walk is to turn right when you come onto the beach and walk for about an hour and end up at Leybatos(bar/hotel).Sit with an ice cold Julbrew and just look at the whole bay. Paradise beach bar does a good prawn salad, I've eaten there since 1993 and I am still here!!!Only part to watch out for is crossing the creek at Kotu beach, no probs at low tide.If you feel a bit unsure about crossing, just walk through palm beach hotel and cross on the bridge on the road and back onto beach through any hotel or through market. If you stop at all the beach bars you may need to be carried home cos your legs may stop working!!

Mentioned in this post
Kotu
Kotu
Banjul Division, Gambia
Skegness, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety on beach

there are no bumsters on the beach

i was sat today on a sun bed in the middle of bijulo beach watching tata fishno bumsters only people was stopping was fruit sellers walking up the beach the cheeky devils was selling to me on way up then on way back trying 2 make out they hadnt sold anything allday came home with a bag full

Central Hungary...
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety on beach

my wife and I walk the beach a lot from Brufut to Senegambia or Brufut to Tanji and have no problems ,except for some hopeful juice sellers, enjoy it!

If you are still unsure walk in the water about ankle deep and they wont bother coming in!!!

6. Re: safety on beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Serekunda
Recent Conversations