We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Bradford...
3 posts
Save Topic
Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

My family used to vacation in Lake George every year, however its been a long time since we've been able to do that. This August, I would like to bring my grandmother (80 yrs. young) back to the Lake, along with my two children (ages 4 and 6). My grandmother is in good health, but she does have some difficulty with walking distances and standing for long periods of time. I want to make sure before we go that there will still be things we can do. Beaches that involve walking down a steep hill will be out, as will any hikes or long walking excursions, but she would probably be OK with something like the Magic Forest, provided there were plenty of places to sit and take a rest. Any suggestions for things to do with my Gramma? This trip would mean the world to her. Also, any suggestions on places to stay? Marine Village looked promising. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Magic Forest
Magic Forest
381 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Boston
Level Contributor
24,645 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Do you have a budget in mind for a per night Stay?

How many are you intending on putting in one room?

There is a public Beach in Lake George Village that has no steps at all.

How important is staying on the Lake versus across the street from the Lake.

Im sure a pool is important.

Lake George has a few boat tours that cruise the Lake, ideal for everyone.

Of course shopping the village and the Outlet stores is always good for killing a few hours.

Weekends in the park

Who doesn't love a great fireworks display? Lake George has fireworks at dusk every Thursday during the summer months of July and August. So head to Lake George Village at about 9:30 each week to watch the sparks fly.

Cost: FREE ADMISSION

Sat, Aug 10, 2013 Moonlight Cruise with Bobby Dick's Rock n' Roll 101 (8:45 PM - 11:00 PM)

57 beach road, Lake George

Cruise the waters of Lake George at night under the moonlit sky all while rocking out to rock n' roll hits sung by Bobby Dick and his band. Ship sails from 9pm - 11pm

Cost: $21.00

A ride over to the Historic Saratoga Springs should be on your agenda. Short drive from LG

A ride into Bolton landing to browse around in the quaint shops.

If your up to it you can rent a partoon boat for a few hours and cruise the Lake.

Great Escape Theme park

www.sixflags.com/greatEscape/index.aspx

Tue, Aug 13 - 17, 2013 Best Bet

40th Annual Family Festival Shepards Park, Canada Street, Lake George, NY

'Family Festival" Activities Begin Earlier Within the Week: Tuesday, August 13 @7:00pm with Bounce Houses, Children’s Games, Raffles, Gift Baskets, 50/50, Gambling Wheel(s) (Adults Only) & Games & your chance to explore the insides of a real fire truck! A "Family Festival"…one not to miss!

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Some great ideas from Diceman...I would add Fort William Henry and Fort Ticonderoga to the list. The youngsters may really like Up Yonda Farms in Bolton http://www.upyondafarm.com

The Minne Ha Ha cruise may be to everyone's liking too - it is a short cruise (60 minutes or so); the one I suggest is the Narrows Cruise (Paradise Bay) if the time works for everyone.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,645 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Lake George Dinner theatre

lakegeorge.com/business/…

Historic Fort Ticonderoga

Fort William Henry

Bradford...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Thank you so much for your replies! I would like to stay within $100-$150 per night, per room if possible. If we do a hotel, then I would plan on myself and the kids in one room and my Grandma in another so she can have her privacy. I did see one hotel (Admiral Inn?) that advertised connecting rooms, which would be nice so that we could visit in the evening but just close the door when it was time to head to bed. A cabin or cottage would be nice too, but I think those are likely out of our budget. Pool is definitely important for the kids. Being right on the lake would be nice, but not necessary especially considering cost. It would be nice to at least have a lake view.

The boat cruise and fireworks sounds great! We will only be coming for 2-3 days so it sounds like we will find plenty to keep us busy.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,645 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

You still must be more specific as to WHAT DAYS your coming, weekends or weekdays?

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

DiceMan and ADK gave you great advice.

I can't help with where to stay, but wanted to add that a drive up Prospect Mountain is a must! Bring a picnic.

Does your grandmother have a portable wheelchair or walker with a seat? This would make it more feasible to go to places like the Great Escape.

Mentioned in this post
Prospect Mountain
Prospect Mountain
966 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Bradford...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Sorry-- I would plan to come in on a weekend; probably getting there on a Friday and leaving on Sunday or Monday. After looking around, I've also figured I might have to up my budget to up to $300 per night for the right room. That would be a total cost though, so for either 2 separate rooms or 1 room with enough beds for everyone (like a suite).

I've looked at the Mohican in addition to Marine Village. The Mohican seems a little more removed from the hustle and bustle of the Village (don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing), but the ability to have a 2 bedroom suite is attractive to me. I'd really like to find something that allows us to be together in the evening, but retreat to separate sleeping areas when it's time for bed. I know my grandmother would prefer to have her own room to sleep with some privacy. The kids and I can make do with pretty much any arrangement (e.g. 2 queens, 2 doubles, 1 king, 1 queen and a sleeper sofa, etc...)

I would like to have the ability to walk to some shops, restaurants, etc. but I'm not sure how many hotels are close enough to allow for that.

My grandma does not have a portable wheelchair or anything like that. She does OK with walking, just not for long distances. For instance, she can go grocery shopping or to a store like Wal-Mart, but a trip to a big shopping mall is likely out of the question. I just want to avoid situations where long standing/walking or walking up or down steep hills would be required. The drive up Prospect Mountain sounds great!

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Mentioned in this post
Prospect Mountain
Prospect Mountain
966 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Westchester County
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

I've stayed at the Mohican when my kids were little. We liked it because of the flexibility of the rooms. We used to get one with an efficiency.The pool was nice too. It's not near the lake or village though. It is near the outlets but not walking distance. Your grandmother would probably like going to the outlets though. Great activity for a rainy day. Because of the ages of your kids, I would suggest Magic Forest instead of Great Escape.

Mentioned in this post
Magic Forest
Magic Forest
381 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Boston
Level Contributor
24,645 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

Try these places, its going to be hard to book 2 Connection rooms for $150 each but you might come close with these places.

Reservation! (855) 322-5199

Lake Motel, in the village on the Lake

Call and ASK for connecting rooms,

Park Lane Motel

In the village on the Lake

Toll Free - 877-668-2615

Call and ASK for connecting rooms

O’Sullivan’s in the village on The Lake Motel

410 Canada Street

Toll Free: 877.317.LAKE

Quality Inn of Lake, Phone: 518-668-3525

Reservations: 1-800-4CHOICE

In the Village But NOT on the lake, nice place.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Motel
Lake Motel
350 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Park Lane Motel
Park Lane Motel
245 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Quality Inn Lake George
Quality Inn Lake George
330 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Kings Park, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake George Activites for Senior Citizen?

My husband and I are Seniors and have stayed at the Quality Inn for the past three years and are actually going again in July. The rooms are very comfortable but you should specify a ground floor room rather than a second floor since you will have to climb the stairs to second floor. It is located just outside of the village but many people walk to town for the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Quality Inn Lake George
Quality Inn Lake George
330 Reviews
Lake George, NY